Oceanic Kerbin Science

Odo

I decided to do a bit of science with Kerbins ocean using what small tools I had available to me in KSC's VAB. Thermometer, Barometer, and Negative gravioli detector.

The craft works by having a probe body with science tools on it, attached to basically a normal rocket. This rocket in turn has wheels on it. The rocket is driven to the coast and carefully dipped into the ocean, We then begin to burn downwards, recording milestone depths' Gravity, pressure, and temperature.

So, the science:

Here is the submarine right at the start of its plunge. At 22 meters into the sea, these are the statistics:

Pressure: 1.0057

Temperature: 020.07

Gravity: 00.10m/s^2

1etbh4.jpg

We've just reached the 150 meters mark. The statistics for this altitude is as such:

Pressure: 1.0181

Temperature: 020.08

muzcj6.jpg

After about 5 minutes of slowly cruising through the depths, we've reached the bottom of the sea. Which surprisingly is not even 20,000 leagues!

The bottom of Kerbin's ocean is a measly 470 meters. But here are the statistics for said depth:

Pressure: 1.0941

Temperature:020.07

hst6va.jpg

And here is the measurements taken from sealevel on dry land:

Pressure: 0.9864

Temperature: 019.51

Gravity: 09.81m/s^2

Surprisingly there is no clear pattern in these measurements, other then pressure, which increases the deeper we go, but by such unrealistic small amounts. The temperature also does not seem to decrease at all, as the bottom has the same temperature as the top.

However by comparing it to coastal measurements, there are some strong differences. For one the gravity is actually stronger in the water then out, which might be why landing in water is so painfully brutal.

The temperature in water is actually warmer then out of it, which is also strange.

The pressure however, is as expected, stronger then out of the water.

Conclusion: Kerbin's ocean doesnt make much sense.

Hope someone can appreciate this :) It was my attempt at doing some science at Kerbin.

How is the gravity so weak underwater? I am guessing the science gizmo is trying to measure gravitational acceleration which the buoyancy force on the ship skews...

I brought the ship to a full stop before taking any scientific measurements...

Also this is stock if it matters, so there are no mods in play to give ballast tanks or anything.

I brought the ship to a full stop before taking any scientific measurements...

Also this is stock if it matters, so there are no mods in play to give ballast tanks or anything.

How'd you keep it submerged while stopped? In stock, all parts float.

How'd you keep it submerged while stopped? In stock, all parts float.

Everytime I stopped it wouldn't float back up unless I moved. so if I cut the engines I'd hover and then if I fidgetted I'd go shooting up. this only worked after I got pretty deep though. at the 100m I just burned lightly into the sloped wall near me to stay in place while I checked instruments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.