[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Thanks for making this! I play on Linux using the 64-bit client and this is great because, despite what you'd think, the 64-bit client still won't go over 3.5 GB of RAM. Once it hits that point it just closes with no errors and a clean log. No idea why.

Anyway, great job!

Seriously ? Same memory limit ? we are doomed ! :(

I doubt they 'went out of their way' to make that happen. it probably has to do with the way the binary is compiled. i remember reading something about patches or command-line parameters that should fix it but I don't remember the details.

rbray: an interesting issue.

Since Unity internally stores normalmaps in RGB=Y (inverted), A=X (inverted) rather than R=X, G=Y, B=Z, (a) you might be safe compressing them to DXT5 anyway, but, more importantly, (B): when normal maps for parts are supplied in traditional format, and compressed by ATM before load, Unity doesn't know what to do with them and spews errors:

GameDatabase: Texture 'DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_1.25Heatshield/model001' requested as normal map but texture is not a normal map and is not readable

Etc.

First, I *believe* this error only occurs with ATM; I will try to verify it does not occur without ATM (and I ask that others check this as well)...

Second, could you perhaps convert NRM-flagged textures to Unity Normalmap form when loading them yourself? Otherwise Unity has issues.

Does including the normals in the normal list not cure this? I updated my configs with them recently. I'm working on a new set to try and smooth out some issues.

The new DRE config looks like:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = DeadlyReentry

enabled = true

NORMAL_LIST

{

texture = DeadlyReentry/deadlyReentry_1.25Heatshield/model001

texture = DeadlyReentry/deadlyReentry_3.75Heatshield/model001

texture = DeadlyReentry/deadlyReentry_6.25Heatshield/model001

}

}

Well, it's tripping on files with NRM in their name. I will try with that fix to DRE to see if that in particular goes away.

It should't have issues with textures with _NRM in the name. It took me a while to get the normal map conversion right, but if it is properly marked and in the right format for KSP, it will be converted to a "proper" normal map.

I noticed some mods aren't compressed. Not sure if this have been answered, but is there a way to get them to compress?

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out, but is there anything I should be aware of while writing config files? I'm trying to get coffee industries to compress, but some textures disappear and become black.

Edited by Eskandare

Rbray, sorry to bother you YET AGAIN.

For some reason ATM stopped working.

I didn't touch anything related to its configs(I am using GreenSkull's v.1.0 cfgs(regular) on top of yours).

And it stopped working suddenly. I thought it's because I finally pushed the limit to KSP by installing more mods - the game started CTDing on load at 3.7-3.8 Gb or RAM - normal.

However this is the output_log. Shows many exceptions. Any suggestions?

MM is v.2.0.5. Can't think of anything else that could have changed in the last few mods.

I installed the new B9 Expansion pack by PolecatEZ. He released it with a version replacing the textures on SQUAD's stock aircraft parts or with a supplemental version, that just adds them as an addition.

I am using the so called "knockout version", which replaces the stock parts. But for the other parts - the B9 expansion - it just references to B9's textures. By the way - can we get / do we need a cfg for this pack? GreenSkull? Pretty please? Also - could you take into account the knockout version, which seems to replace some stock textures?

Edited by smunisto

SOOO how long is the white "FROZEN" screen supposed to last?

I let KSP load for almost 10 minutes and nada. :(

EDIT: NEVER MIND.... my game just takes like 16 minutes to load now .......not a problem right?.....RIGHT... *Twitch.....TWITCH*

HUUU EDIT 2: never mind now my game loads like a bat out of ****

less then 2 minutes.

Edited by Tidus Klein

I didn't touch anything related to its configs(I am using GreenSkull's v.1.0 cfgs(regular) on top of yours).

And it stopped working suddenly. I thought it's because I finally pushed the limit to KSP by installing more mods - the game started CTDing on load at 3.7-3.8 Gb or RAM - normal.

MM is v.2.0.5. Can't think of anything else that could have changed in the last few mods.

I installed the new B9 Expansion pack by PolecatEZ. He released it with a version replacing the textures on SQUAD's stock aircraft parts or with a supplemental version, that just adds them as an addition.

I am using the so called "knockout version", which replaces the stock parts. But for the other parts - the B9 expansion - it just references to B9's textures. By the way - can we get / do we need a cfg for this pack? GreenSkull? Pretty please? Also - could you take into account the knockout version, which seems to replace some stock textures?

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory! - looks like this was the problem here, but as to what caused it... there is about a bajillion NRE's :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at UrlDir+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleManager.ConfigManager.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Did you install the new mod correctly?

As for the polecat config I'll see what I can do. I've got another update coming with some more tweeks and revisions to some existing plus an extra settings option.

SOOO how long is the white "FROZEN" screen supposed to last?

I let KSP load for almost 10 minutes and nada. :(

EDIT: NEVER MIND.... my game just takes like 16 minutes to load now .......not a problem right?.....RIGHT... *Twitch.....TWITCH*

Hopefully after the first time loading times will be reduced! I don't mean any offence but you playing on a 486? cos that's how long my first pc seemed to take to get going :P An SSD just for games and quick loading applications works wonders on any system - they are a lot cheaper than they used to be and for the money spent a 100% recommended upgrade but like I said please don't take offence.

Yep, I had the same problem. Something in the D12 Knockout version stops ATM from working. I've already mentioned it in the D12 dev thread. :)

Oh, and @Tidus Klein, if ATM is working normally, you should see the 'freeze' (I've never had the reported 'white screen', though) just after the Squad monkey logo appears along with the yellow loading bar. It will just start to load plugins first when loading progress will appear to freeze on some random plugin, it's usually not the same every time. But the game will seem to be locked up for up to several minutes, then the loading bar should 'jump ahead' a bit to continue loading your various mod folders, along with the screen image switching from the Squad chimp to the 3 Kerbal scene. Once this happens the rest of the loading process should finish up fairly quickly.

Anyway, the above description is how it works for me on my PC. If the loading bar immediately starts loading plugins and textures 'normally', i.e. With no pause or 'lockup' at the beginning, then I know that the game will REALLY freeze when the loading bar is at about 50% progress, that's where my game always runs out of memory because the textures didn't get compressed and cached by ATM.

I hope this info helps, friend. :)

Yup, Green, I installed it correctly, but as Neutrinovore mentioned - apparently something in D12 Knockout does something to stop ATM from working. Hopefully Polecat can sort it. I bet it has something to do with his cfgs replacing parts of the Stock Squad textures.

The configs are just empty parts that were used for SquadKO, no references to anything. I'm using basic texture management version and not having any issues. I'll download and test the aggressive version and see what I can do to make my own exception file if needed.

My theory is that ATM (Aggressive) is actually trying to rebuild every tiny mock .tga that's referenced by every part in the pack and just needs an exception .cfgt setup, which looks straightforward enough.

I did have the "freezing issue" on the first load with basic, but it passed in about 30 seconds and then flew through the loading bar. Since then I only have that issue if I update anything in the GameData during testing parts. Something like this was mentioned in the update description for ATM.

Edited by PolecatEZ

I am using the basic version. With GreenSkull's cfg files from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21?p=1116712&viewfull=1#post1116712

I don't know. I didn't try deleting any folders this morning, but I tried reinstalling ATM and clearing all of its cached files+configs - this gave no result, it was still not working(as in not hanging at the beginning while pre-loading textures, or whatever it does while the game looks like it has crashed).

I did try, however, using ONLY the D12 parts, I restored my old SQUAD folder from a backup, and deleted the Squad CFGs+.mu files in the Knockout version - this gave no result either.

And Polecat - the hanging should happen each time you load the game for just a little bit, which is an indication the mod works. That's one of the first queues I got that ATM is not working when I found the issue today.

I hope you can take a look at the output log, even though I guess it does not give much information, just null reference errors. However it mentions something about url+dir or something like this.

Which ATM are you using? This sounds like the issue I was wrestling with yesterday for hours and thought I fixed it (basically had to wipe out the entire game and reinstall it, I literally pulled every sub-subfolder one at a time until GameData was blank). When I re-installed, I used just the basic version of ATM and it worked, so I thought the issue was fixed.

I'll take a look at the config comparisons between the two and try to figure out what its doing differently.

----

Hotfix posted in my own thread. I'll tweak it later but it makes everything work.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Version of ATM is 3-1. Latest one.

Just to be sure, I will list all mods that I have and that I updated since yesterday and today when the game started crashing.

I am not sure it is your mod, just seems like it, because it is the only one that had a significant change(or rather addition) to it in my updates.

So, all of my mods:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vccvpjz837ujovi/A.png

What I updated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m43o611b30mtqt9/b.png

You can see the modified date. Right up to the point I decided to dl ATM and GS's configs all over.

There's two versions of ATM, basic and aggressive. Basic works fine without any additional configs for my pack, and for aggressive version I have a hotfix up on my thread that looks like its working fine. I went through this whole mess myself and did a lot of tweaking with the way I do the knockouts, but installing basic version seemed to fix everything. Today I wrote a custom config for my pack which seems to fix aggressive version of ATM also.

I just reinstalled the Knockout pack, the 3-1 Basic ATM, Green Skull's configs and I put your custom cfg in the cfg folder for ATM.

ATM is still not working. I will try deleting the other mods I updated one by one to check if the issue is not with one of them, and just me and Neutrinovore happened to have done the same update.

EDIT 1: No effect. I deleted all mods that I updated since ATM broke, apart from D12 Knockout. ATM still isn't working.

Edited by smunisto

Hmm, smunisto. I had a similar problem last week, where I updated several things at the same time, and it broke ATM. I never figured out exactly what it was though, no matter what I removed or reverted I couldn't fix it. I ended up having to destroy (uninstall) KSP completely and start over with a clean re-install. I tried to put my saved game folder back and the problem re-occurred, so I had to get rid of that and start all over from scratch. I've been reinstalling all my mods ever since, and now I'm finally back up to about what I had before.

Anyway, I don't advocate taking that drastic of a step, at least not yet. Hopefully rbray and PolecatEZ can come up with something here soon. I looked at your mod list and nothing jumped out at me as an obvious culprit, btw.