Imperial versus metric

Camacha

If the Anglosphere is so fond of dozens, then why do the English numerals end with "-teen" and "-ty", rather than "-dzen" and "-dzy" ?

Or at least "dzen" → "tzen".

eleven, twelve, onetzen, twotzen, thretzen, ..., eleventzen, twotzy, twotzy one, ..., twotzy eleven, ...

Eleventzy eleven = 143

On 1/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, tomf said:

Ah you made the classic error, at 40m the pressure is 5 atmospheres, and what are these forums for if not needless pedantry.

But seriously I have tried diving in Imperial units and I can't imagine how anyone properly plans a dive. The ridiculous way Americans define the size of a cylinder, as the volume that gas stored at a particular pressure will assume at atmospheric pressure, doesn't help though.

Apropos pedantic : If you dive in a (initially) vacuum chamber filled with water the pressure above the water surface becomes 23.39 mbar (given 20 degC, or ? Fahrenheit+-7.39292%.. today (approx., with a good glass of wine)) and the pressure in 40m depth is (ideally speaking) 4.02339bar then . And the imperial units are more and more becoming impressive for me. You can even dive in it ! :D

• 1 year later...

i blame hardware store culture. was over at our little hardware store yesterday. mom got a used power wheelchair and it needed a few parts. they are all made in china so everything is metric. i find this ironic because these things are so well regulated by the relevant agiencies that they still use lead acid batteries and brush motors, eschewing lithium ion and brushless motor technology ubiquitous on e-bikes, drones, and children's ride-on toys (i guess its ok for children to die in battery fires but not old people). they also regulate replacement parts, one time my mom had to get a prescription for a motor and new batteries. you even need a cert to do the repair even though its all pretty much off the shelf technology (its really just a paywall for service manuals and proprietary tools). the us government seems to swing either way, military uses metric and nasa seems to alternate, at least on their public facing information. reguardless our hardware store mostly speaks freedom units. so when i went to look for grub screws, there were 7 trays of imperial and only 1 with metric (and frankly i was shocked they had any at all).

Edited by Nuke