[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

Hello, I have a question about nonspherical objects. I know it can be done as evidenced by a cube shaped moon from some planet pack, and I know it involves something with the heightmap. I have the heightmap exported for the moon you can see in this image:

VtEBMXJs.jpg

How would I tell the game that the height map isn't spherical, or do I have to make some changes to the heightmap?

It looks like to me that both ascension and inaccessible got the "black body bug" that we had back when .23 came out. I haven't tested any user created planets, because I don't have time. Thus it would be appreciated if someone does so. :)

I'm getting some odd results with this mod and the new contract system. I had the Urania system loaded, and started a brand new career. After the 1st round of contracts everything else that was offered to me wanted me test various parts while flying over Hestia within 1 DAY after accepting the contract. Hestia is a very distant moon in the Urania system and impossible to get to in just 1 day. So there's no way i could complete any of those contracts. So, i'm not sure why it happened... i assume that there is some kind of config file in the planet factory systems that KSP is using to generate the contracts and things aren't jiving.. but really not sure?

Planet factory hasn't been updated since .23 (back in January). If it's in the contract system it is not because of anything Krag or any modder has done. It would be squad trying to accommodate the new planets. Therefore, I don't think they quite have their non-stock numbers quite right... Someone will probably need to alter the list with a mod...

Planet factory hasn't been updated since .23 (back in January). If it's in the contract system it is not because of anything Krag or any modder has done. It would be squad trying to accommodate the new planets. Therefore, I don't think they quite have their non-stock numbers quite right... Someone will probably need to alter the list with a mod...

PF was never fully compatible with Career mode. It broke your science archives in 0.23.5, it could break contracts in 0.24. This mod is sandbox-only.

And judging by that Krag wasn't around for several months, I think we can declare Planet Factory dead.

License: All rights reserved. You may fork, view and learn from this source in accordance with github terms of service. But you can not distribute derivative works without the express permission of Kragrethea. But just ask! I am very flexible.

but what happen if the creator suddenly disappear?

Unless this black body bug I observed occurs on user created planets I don't see why it must die. I think as long as it's the only mod that builds planets it will be kept alive. That said, I do wish Krag comes back even if just to give someone else the reins.

I'm having the same problem with my moon, Etaria. Is Hestia using Kerbin as a template? If so then there's a pattern.

That's along the same lines i was thinking too... because I tested to see what would happen without the mod installed and those same Trivial-level, test-part-while-landed, contracts all asked me to test on my home planet, Kerbin. So, it seems that Kerbin is sort of the default location for those types of contracts. And like you I was wondering if something with the mod was causing KSP to replace that "default" with one of the PF system planets. I'd like to poke around and figure it out but i just don't know enough about how the new contract system is programmed.

I do hope we can keep PF CE alive, its one of my most favoritest mods ever :D

Unless this black body bug I observed occurs on user created planets I don't see why it must die. I think as long as it's the only mod that builds planets it will be kept alive. That said, I do wish Krag comes back even if just to give someone else the reins.

As it turns out, Krag fixed the black body bug in Planet Factory CE. However, the dll in the bundle at the beginning of this thread is one version old. I grabbed the source code from Krag's GitHub, compiled it, and no more black body bug...

I wish I wasn't so darn busy. The code in Krag's github is simple enough...

I'm a programmer and after tomorrow I should have time to work on a replacement for this. I've programmed C# before but never modded Unity - assuming I can do this with all Free software (excepting Unity itself of course).

If someone else is already working on this, please let me know ASAP so we can coordinate our plans. Obviously the replacement will have to be under an open source license to prevent this kind of silliness with things being abandoned. Also, I'm mostly interested in Real Solar System, so if anyone has suggestions on who I should contact to get their feature wishlist in a planet-adder-modder-thing, please let me know.

Sorry to just sort of "appear" like this; I've been on an extended KSP hiatus to study for a medical licensing exam, so I had no idea that this mod was no longer being maintained until I just went to get it today...

Also, note that I am not expressing an intent to design any planets other than what may be trivially necessary to test the system.

My email address is [email protected] if you wish to contact me directly. Sometime Thursday I should have time to study the feasability of doing this in more detail.

Edited by BryceSchroeder

I'm a programmer and after tomorrow I should have time to work on a replacement for this. I've programmed C# before but never modded Unity - assuming I can do this with all Free software (excepting Unity itself of course).

If someone else is already working on this, please let me know ASAP so we can coordinate our plans. Obviously the replacement will have to be under an open source license to prevent this kind of foolishness. Also, I'm mostly interested in Real Solar System, so if anyone has suggestions on who I should contact to get their feature wishlist in a planet-adder-modder-thing, please let me know.

Sorry to just sort of "appear" like this; I've been on an extended KSP hiatus to study for a medical licensing exam, so I had no idea that this mod was no longer being maintained until I just went to get it today...

Also, note that I am not expressing an intent to design any planets other than what may be trivially necessary to test the system.

My email address is [email protected] if you wish to contact me directly. Sometime Thursday I should have time to study the feasability of doing this in more detail.

You should do this in a proper way.

Instead of duplicating planets and changing their PQS mods, which is really lame, you should create your own PSystem and then set PSystemManager's systemPrefab before the PSystemManager spawns the default PSystem.

The PSystemManager starts spawning in Start, so you can interact with it on OnLevelWasLoaded before it starts spawning.

Basically, you have to detect when the game enters the PSystemSetup scene, then you find the PSystemManager component and set its systemPrefab to the PSystem you created.

This is the correct method Squad is using and it involves more work for the coder and the planet makers alike but it gets rid of every single bug Planet Factory ever had since you will be using Squad's own method.

You should do this in a proper way.

Instead of duplicating planets and changing their PQS mods, which is really lame, you should create your own PSystem and then set PSystemManager's systemPrefab before the PSystemManager spawns the default PSystem.

The PSystemManager starts spawning in Start, so you can interact with it on OnLevelWasLoaded before it starts spawning.

Basically, you have to detect when the game enters the PSystemSetup scene, then you find the PSystemManager component and set its systemPrefab to the PSystem you created.

This is the correct method Squad is using and it involves more work for the coder and the planet makers alike but it gets rid of every single bug Planet Factory ever had since you will be using Squad's own method.

I will look into this as it sounds reasonable. Of course, I do not yet know enough about KSP modding to know how to run my own code at arbitrary points in the course of the game loading (i.e. "before the PSystemManager spawns the default PSystem") So, I'll have to figure that out first. Thanks for the input.

If someone else is already working on this, please let me know ASAP so we can coordinate our plans. Obviously the replacement will have to be under an open source license to prevent this kind of silliness with things being abandoned. Also, I'm mostly interested in Real Solar System, so if anyone has suggestions on who I should contact to get their feature wishlist in a planet-adder-modder-thing, please let me know.

Well, good luck..

I believe that KCreator is working on an instantiate button in his KittopiaTech editor here:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68619-Plugin-WIP-KittopiaTech-Ingame-Terraforming-Tools-V0-174. Whether or not this is the way you want to do it, it's already an inbuilt editor, with an ability to clone planets. While this is not Aftokinito's vision, it would be a great start for replacing planet factory should that ever become necessary. (Also as a side note, it is somewhat backwards compatible... it should be possible to not break saves from PF+all previous planets could be brought across to the new format so that all the packs out there don't all need completely rebuilding...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.