Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I don't have new pc, but new craft soon! :D

http://imgur.com/a/PXQpE

Don't forget about upcoming car too!

http://i.imgur.com/FJcUiXT.png

How about the crane you are reviving. New video should be about the car driving down the runway and the plane bombing it :D. ahh no ejector seat this time.... Jebadiah you have no way to escape inevitable crashes now! :P

W.I.P SSTO. This is my fourth iteration, just because it's a delicate balance of an insane amount of engines and fuel to lift the payload. The whales just have trouble breaking Mach 1.1-4, if it breaks that, its should get into orbit.

I'll redesign the craft for looks once the specs have been worked out.

I haven't really done SSTOs, but I have built a couple that work. Just gotta get these to mach quicker...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm making this for my company, Avalanche Aeronautics.

Testing out the jet and screen recording. My video recording still isn't great via the cheap laptop I bought. Tiny bit better than my old mac though. I removed the big condensers from the raptor and the overall shape is much smoother now. Those looked cool but still better without.

And I shrunk the raptor down to get the outline for an f-35

VYp3thn.png

Finished 3 crafts in two days:

McDonnell Douglas MD-11

A wide-body trijet, this was a derivative of the more successful DC-10, with a stretched fuselage, winglets, and a new glass-cockpit design. While it still operates as a cargo aircraft - notably for FedEx - it last flew as a commercial passenger jet for KLM last November 2014.

PYcDXu5.png

British Aerospace 146/Avro RJ100

Who needs such a tiny jetliner anyway? This aircraft was used for short domestic hops, and is tiny indeed, despite the four-engined configuration. While it is produced no longer, many low-cost airlines have found use for its configuration, and have used it up to the present day.

OpbMf8c.png

Airbus A330-300

Along with it's sister of similar design and era, the A340 (<-Coming soon, mkay?), the A330 was developed and introduced in January of 1994. While the A340 was lost in the bowels of ending production, the A330 continued on and grew to become a competitor of the Boeing 777 in range, economy and maintenance.

(And yes, I know it's wings are currently ugly!)

yVKilHZ.png

New wings, the shape on both is pretty great for both now it's just performance & smoothing stuff out.

CiDcimP.png

The 35 might be too small?

1FkFoyU.png

OXDY3je.png

Also what happened to the basic engine? That thing used to be fine for these type of craft but now their pretty much useless. The turbojet engines outperform them even at sea level.

New wings, the shape on both is pretty great for both now it's just performance & smoothing stuff out.

-snip-

The 35 might be too small?

-snip-

Also what happened to the basic engine? That thing used to be fine for these type of craft but now their pretty much useless. The turbojet engines outperform them even at sea level.

I think it's on purpose for the career mode. You're supposed to replace your basic jet engines... I think. I don't play career. I think they should be able to outperform the Turbojets below mach easily but they don't.

I think it's on purpose for the career mode. You're supposed to replace your basic jet engines... I think. I don't play career. I think they should be able to outperform the Turbojets below mach easily but they don't.

They do provide the highest efficiency for jets, more useful for long-range aircraft,or long-service aircraft, Like Laythe aircraft.

My next project is a Duna compact space station. The main action feature is an artificial gravity generator for the habitat modules (habitat modules rotate while the science lab stay still). Fully Stock.

PJ6UKGQh.png

On the pad, with enough fuel to go to Duna:

Je5oDtXh.png

Edited by H2O.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The new SSTO for Mk.1 or semi-large satellites, the X-15 "Lion" 100. It can weigh around 70 tons and is around 160-170 parts depending what you put in it (in it's current model). It is powered by RTGs, so no solar panels.

The fuel load after lifting a bunch of fuel cells, a rocket fuel tank, and a half rocket fuel tank, was around 700. I doubt I was very efficient with this and probably could of gotten upwards of 1500 fuel left (if I used the nuke mainly and was very stringent with the R.A.P.I.E.Rs. Yes, this thing has 9 engines and only one is a nuke. It's very slow with the nuke, but, of course, it's very efficient. Not all of the fuel is liquid fuel/oxidizer, it has been balanced (sort of) to leave a closely correct amount of liquid fuel and oxidizer in orbit. If it this got refuel in orbit, it probably could go a very, very far distance (if you could wait 30 minutes). I'll get Kerbal Engineer in a little bit and check Delta-V for just the nuke with a full fuel load.

I love the look of this thing. It has a super-intake (4 ram-air intakes together to make a square, and I didn't use the debug menu to make it) design, so each engine gets it's own 1 unit of intake. It hits mach early, so you need to zoom climb very, very early. The ram-air intakes and the control surfaces will destroy themselves.

I don't know how the descent and the ascent profiles should be optimized, but the ascent profile I used was basically just eyeballing. I zoom climb to 8000, flatten out just a little, and when I get to around 700 m/s I zoom climb again up until 30,000 with the R.A.P.I.E.Rs auto-switch (I also shut off the turbos.) The descent profile is I make the periapsis 30,000 meters, and just do a descent where I attempt to stay at 30,000 for as long as possible until I get below 1000 m/s where it should be safe to descend. It lands fine and is sturdy on the ground.

I'm not releasing it juuust yet, some smaller stuff to workout still.

This is a repost from my rocket builder, Avalanche. Didn't want to bother retyping the whole thing. This is W.I.P anyways.

Edited by Monkthespy