Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I'm building a detailed stock Human Heart in KSP for Science.

400+ parts. The Mac is blotting out the work site next to me.

Pls.

I'm about to give up.

- - - Updated - - -

It works! HAH!

The O2 fires into the tissue membrane!

This has taken 9 hours of my life.

For a 3 minute video.

I think it's worth it.

No, it was built without one. I know it should have one but it makes the front end look funny :)

Sink it back into the cockpit with the translation gizmo on fine control. That's the only way I put it.

Rune. One does pick up a trick or two over the years.

Sink it back into the cockpit with the translation gizmo on fine control. That's the only way I put it.

Rune. One does pick up a trick or two over the years.

Thanks!! :D:D

Now, option a or option b...

0YtzP9w.jpg

Gkt9mcl.jpg

On a technical note, at less than 10 tonnes, it should make orbit on one rapier? I'm having real trouble pushing through the sound barrier with it full, I have to drain a little O2 and fuel to get it into orbit.

Thanks!! :D:D

Now, option a or option b...

snip

On a technical note, at less than 10 tonnes, it should make orbit on one rapier? I'm having real trouble pushing through the sound barrier with it full, I have to drain a little O2 and fuel to get it into orbit.

It's your cross section. Extra stacks add a lot of drag.

I think you're right, B it is :D

I thought it might be something like that, thanks.

You could cut down the cross section a LOT by using two structural intakes. Thats all it takes to feed even a turbojet (which is more air-hungry) to the point of velocity-flameout. Wouldnt look quite as entertaining tho.

EDIT:

papfIdB.png

This worked pre-1.0 (there's a 909 clipped into that turbojet). It even out-performed the rapier variant. Gonna have to try this little thing again.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Well this thing doesn't look like it will fly soon. Engine clipping causes spontaneous heating, not really spontaneous when you think about it and when you lift 80 tons in which that's its maximum carry, it rear right VTOL engine ring overheats. Our engineers solved the problem though: MOAR DUCTAPE AND STRUTS SHOULD STOP OVERHEATING

xvQ4oB0.png

Well this thing doesn't look like it will fly soon. Engine clipping causes spontaneous heating, not really spontaneous when you think about it and when you lift 80 tons in which that's its maximum carry, it rear right VTOL engine ring overheats. Our engineers solved the problem though: MOAR DUCTAPE AND STRUTS SHOULD STOP OVERHEATING

http://i.imgur.com/xvQ4oB0.png

Did you intentionally put a (lunar?) eclipse in that picture?

So Ever since I saw the infamous O.A.S.I.S. stardock and it's smaller brother Terminus Core. the idea of a mobile science lab was stuck onto my mind for a long time (long enough for that thread to be passed in time), so when I tried (and chickened out of) moving a Drestroid back to kerbin. the final piece of the next generation Terminus finally rolled in.

Thus this monstrosity of a WIP.

dnxiswg.jpg

And the formentioned former Drestroid mover - modified already to the following:

D1Hd2ey.jpg

I think this needs to be assembled in 3 pieces (not even counting the 2 orange drop tanks, 2 RCS tugs and a space asteroid mining rig either).

Any advice?

So Ever since I saw the infamous O.A.S.I.S. stardock and it's smaller brother Terminus Core. the idea of a mobile science lab was stuck onto my mind for a long time (long enough for that thread to be passed in time), so when I tried (and chickened out of) moving a Drestroid back to kerbin. the final piece of the next generation Terminus finally rolled in.

Thus this monstrosity of a WIP.

http://i.imgur.com/dnxiswg.jpg

And the formentioned former Drestroid mover - modified already to the following:

http://i.imgur.com/D1Hd2ey.jpg

I think this needs to be assembled in 3 pieces (not even counting the 2 orange drop tanks, 2 RCS tugs and a space asteroid mining rig either).

Any advice?

Dude.....

How are you launching this? Separately by modules? My advice is that, if you're ever using struts, follow the two-point rule to minimize part count and drag :D If you want flexibility, you could put drone cores in all orientations so that your ship can switch frame of navballs without moving the entire thing, most useful for docking :D

Hmm, well if that's the b-52 then I would say that the main fuselage is quite short, but we'll just have to wait on performance :D

Exactly. I have a longer version but it poops out of FPS. An authentic lookalike here is much better than a complete replica.

Exactly. I have a longer version but it poops out of FPS. An authentic lookalike here is much better than a complete replica.

What makes it poop out FPS? From the looks of it, maybe you're not just attaching one fuselage bit to make it longer?

Well you are correct :D

What makes it poop out FPS? From the looks of it, maybe you're not just attaching one fuselage bit to make it longer?

Well you are correct :D

No... To keep it all in one piece is has a ton of bracing, struts, girders etc. inside. By making it longer it gets floppier which takes even more structural parts to correct. You can have it just a tiny bit longer and have hilarious floppy-plane or a fully functioning plane that's part count comes from the massive amount of bombs it carries or the needless heaps of structural bracing needed to keep the tail together.

No... To keep it all in one piece is has a ton of bracing, struts, girders etc. inside. By making it longer it gets floppier which takes even more structural parts to correct. You can have it just a tiny bit longer and have hilarious floppy-plane or a fully functioning plane that's part count comes from the massive amount of bombs it carries or the needless heaps of structural bracing needed to keep the tail together.

Actually, the minimum struts required to joint-reinforce something is... two :D

You can also use the fuel fuselages as structural parts, just empty the excess fuel :D

Hmm, I may get the feeling that . ..

But I'm not in the place to say that yet :D Will be waiting for this surprise of yours :D

Trust me, I have been working very hard. And this is beyond joint reinforcement. Its keeping things not directly connected rigid. Ibeam girders, etc. Mostly stemming from my landing gear system that incorporates their own landing gear bays. You cant simply joint connect them as you would normally. I'm still working on getting it simpler. I was able to lower the part count enough to make the fuselage longer without sacrificing rigidity either. There might also be a problem with the camera angle.

hoURFE3.jpg

Edited by Jon144

Trust me, I have been working very hard. And this is beyond joint reinforcement. Its keeping things not directly connected rigid. Ibeam girders, etc. Mostly stemming from my landing gear system that incorporates their own landing gear bays. You cant simply joint connect them as you would normally. I'm still working on getting it simpler. I was able to lower the part count enough to make the fuselage longer without sacrificing rigidity either. There might also be a problem with the camera angle.

http://i.imgur.com/hoURFE3.jpg

Excellent :D Now, another suggestion is to make the engine mounts smaller, to reduce drag and wobbliness :D Closer to the wing make the engines more rigid, theoretically :D

Now, I'm just giving opinions, but the tail part, is quite small in proportion to the craft, it kinda sets me off. That's just me opinion though :D I could do the tail assembly, but I'm not in that place to do so :)

Reminds me of the B-52 I never finished ..

E0uYx9E.jpg

Note to SHiftER; It would probably work if you just made it work.

Edited by SHiftER2O