Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 4/2/2017 at 2:17 PM, ShadowGoat said:

These ships make me feel bad about my own.

I had a similar reaction the first time I saw this thread.  It’s like wandering into an old-school movie-effects workshop and seeing how they build screen-quality models out of cardboard, tinfoil, and putty.  You’ve worked with these materials but never built anything as amazing as THAT.

Just remember:  Nobody is born knowing how to do these things.  Some of the wonders you see here are crafted by folks with years of experience, drawing on the lessons learned from everyone’s experimentation.  This thread exists to share those lessons and draw on collective talents to solve problems.  

On 4/2/2017 at 3:11 PM, Servo said:

Don't let other's craft discourage you! Three months ago, when I saw torquimede's F-14, I never thought that I could make planes with moving parts. Instead of being intimidated, I was inspired to try it for myself. Now, I've built every swing-wing in the U.S. arsenal in stock KSP. 

Don't be afraid to try something new - you never know where it will lead. Look towards other's craft and videos as inspiration, and Don't be afraid to fail. 

Finally, don't be afraid to reach out and PM people - everyone here is very friendly, and will help point you in the right direction.

This is a supportive community that loves to educate and inspire as much as the folks who build real spacecraft.  I took inspiration and instruction from a number of people here.  I also demonstrated many many variations of explosive educational failure for every craft I’ve published.  I try to give back to the community by posting those craft, with extensive documentation, as examples for dissection by anyone who wants to build something similar.

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel (or bearing) every time you want to build something nifty.  The Wright brothers didn’t build their Flyer from a flash of inspiration, nor did they build it alone.  They experimented with kites which they scaled up to gliders, added pilot controls and chain drive from their experience with bicycles, and commissioned a mechanic build them a custom engine.  Then they taught us all that we can conquer the sky.

4 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

I'm working on a vtol. It took about 20 minutes to get the basic functions, though it still tilts forwards if you don't correct it I'll try to post some pictures. I like building Vtols.

Yes these are very fun, I made so many I made a Hangar for them!

22 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Night #1 progress

DDQ2Y5m.png

We're working on the same thing (kinda)!  @RunsWithScissors was talking about a russion jet-of-the-day, and I was like, Tu-95!   I started working on an engine yesterday and I think it's looking good.  Performance and explodey-ness yet to be determined.

t0Jvaz0.jpg

23 hours ago, klond said:

<snip>
 We're working on the same thing (kinda)!  @RunsWithScissors was talking about a russion jet-of-the-day, and I was like, Tu-95!   I started working on an engine yesterday and I think it's looking good.  Performance and explodey-ness yet to be determined.

t0Jvaz0.jpg

I REALLY want to see how that (Russian JotD) turns out! Big fan of turboprops, would like to help with development sometime! This is much smaller than my conventional landing-gear-bearing designs, how are you mounting the shaft in that Mk.1 Structural Fuselage?

Nevertheless, I have another update on my 1:1 scale YB-60: Cockpit added, weight shifted towards COL. Wing still needs to be re-profiled.

4AT026S.png

ob8tfXo.pngr47z5vm.png

It wreaks of 1950's and I LOVE it. Here's the real deal --- Coming soon.

yb60-convair-prototype.JPGyb60-prototype.JPG

Edited by NorthAmericanAviation

22 hours ago, klond said:

Mine arn't turboprops though sadly, just static aesthetic pieces. At some point i want to adapt them into a unpowered ebaring so that they move with the airflow like my Turboprop Trainer aircraft and old B-25. My main PC is having issues so part count makes working on the An-22 difficult ATM. I got it to fly and look (kinda) like the real thing. i'll work on it more later.

I'm gonna need to upgrade PC parts soon too.  I see other videos and they're soo smooth.

1 hour ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

how are you mounting the shaft in that Mk.1 Structural Fuselage?

Trade secrets!  JK soon as I post it (assuming everything works out) you can snag it.  'Need a few days.

The Camelback Bridge
Update 4.7.17

With the patience of a Slug and the persistence of Rocky Balboa this project is finally coming to a close. I can't believe it started in February! Also as I said before we know this game is for Space not Watercraft but I have a love for Bridge Building in KSP. I want to mention this type of game play is not for everyone that's for sure and I don't recommend building Bridges on the Water in KSP unless you are someone who can sit and watch Paint dry! More details will be given when the project is released.

This was intended to be a 14 Section Bridge but reentry from a saved game was causing damages so it's 13 Sections with the Entrance and Exit
Length 423.3 M

pagxe7b.png

rMpJX8R.png

Video is complete, craft and details will be released soon on the spacecraft exchange and on KerbalX

Edited by Castille7
Video notification

1 hour ago, klond said:

I'm gonna need to upgrade PC parts soon too.  I see other videos and they're soo smooth.

Trade secrets!  JK soon as I post it (assuming everything works out) you can snag it.  'Need a few days.

Just an fyi here, I don't mean to mislead anyone with my smooth looking gaming on videos, with that said nearly all of my videos have been sped up. My computer does run some smooth gaming in KSP with medium size craft.

1 hour ago, Castille7 said:

Just an fyi here, I don't mean to mislead anyone with my smooth looking gaming on videos, with that said nearly all of my videos have been sped up. My computer does run some smooth gaming in KSP with medium size craft.

I cant believe your still working on that bridge. What are your PC specs.

9 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

I cant believe your still working on that bridge. What are your PC specs.

I pm'd you on this, also when working on these large projects I get burned out and start other smaller ones to get away from them for a while, so this has been an off and on project that just got worked on periodically as some others like the Rail Car and Cantilever Bridge, plans are to complete these next.

9 hours ago, RunsWithScissors said:

Looks great!

Thank you!

Edited by Castille7

23 hours ago, Castille7 said:

The Camelback Bridge
Update 4.7.17

With the patience of a Slug and the persistence of Rocky Balboa this project is finally coming to a close. I can't believe it started in February! Also as I said before we know this game is for Space not Watercraft but I have a love for Bridge Building in KSP. I want to mention this type of game play is not for everyone that's for sure and I don't recommend building Bridges on the Water in KSP unless you are someone who can sit and watch Paint dry! More details will be given when the project is released.

This was intended to be a 14 Section Bridge but reentry from a saved game was causing damages so it's 13 Sections with the Entrance and Exit
Length 423.3 M

pagxe7b.png

rMpJX8R.png

I've seen your work before on Youtube, amazing stuff.

Update on the maze project:

KZtSrNK.png

I wanted to make this pure stock, but I do need KerbalJointReinforcement mod to keep it all together...<_<

Without:

xWUYQ12.png

Edited by Triop

Something I've been working on recently:

CH59pb8.jpg

It doesn't have a name yet. The fuselage design is shamelessly stolen from heavily inspired by Perseus 2 by Shotch https://kerbalx.com/Shotch/Perseus-2 (although nowhere near as pretty). The balloon is empty, this was just an initial test flight. I have yet to do payload testing, but I anticipate payloads of >500 tons to LKO to be feasible. Of course it is designed to take more moderate high volume payloads much further afield. There is a ventral opening cargo bay under the forward portion of the fuselage meant to store mining gear for surface refueling. Still a fair amount of work and testing to be done, but I was excited to get it to orbit.

Edited by NoobTool