What Happened to That Ship?

zxczxczbfg

I recall, from back in the days when I was playing the demo, that there was a very nice tri-stack-style ship that was quite capable of orbit and came stock with the game. I forget the name, but I remember it had the common "Kerbal [number]" arrangement. I would like to know: It's a nice design, so why did it go away? In fact, a number of the Squad-built ships available in the demo are missing from the full game's list. If anyone has a download for a (preferably 0.23 compatible) version of this ship, please don't hesitate to speak up! Also don't hesitate to speak if you know just why it was removed.\

EDIT: Both of the ships from the demo are now available on Curse (I myself posted them there).

http://www.curse.com/shareables/kerbal/220931-ye-olde-stocke-crafte

Edited by zxczxczbfg

I'm not sure how old. The version shown on the main page is 0.18.3 so I think that's the one I need. Gonna download the demo now to at least get some good screenshots of it. I might also try and emulate some of the other "scrapped" craft from the demo.

now that you're speaking of that though it really makes me think that the game could use some pre-built ships, either for those that like flying more than building or for the newer players that are seeking inspirations, could make a bunch of ships designed for a whole bunch of purposes, lots of them on the spacecraft exchange but most of them use mods and it feels like a good pack of ships in the game already would be nice for newbies to get into and see how you're supposed to go about building stuff

now that you're speaking of that though it really makes me think that the game could use some pre-built ships, either for those that like flying more than building or for the newer players that are seeking inspirations, could make a bunch of ships designed for a whole bunch of purposes, lots of them on the spacecraft exchange but most of them use mods and it feels like a good pack of ships in the game already would be nice for newbies to get into and see how you're supposed to go about building stuff

I periodically post simple designs listing if stock or mods, then leave it up to the player to build from the picture example.

Mun lander from the demo;

vdlNdVm.jpg

Move the legs further back or you may lose an engine on landing;

rH78NoH.jpg

Career Munar Orbiter.

zUCLXGU.jpg

Simple three Kerbal orbiter; Mainsail for first stage, skipper on the second stage.

qzRfjOp.jpg

In Orbit

ZjIi055.jpg

Check your VAB/SPH. The game already has premade ships.

Test flight of the Kerbal 5. (Staging corrected.)

VAcUDJ1.jpg

BCk1Au5.jpg

The Kerbal 5 modified for 0.23;

FPctJEz.jpg

EcKEjvE.jpg

You can ditch the SAS, all the fins, and replace the upper stage LV-45 with a LV-909. Flies much better without the fins. Add solar panels.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, with a bit of modification the Ker5 and Ker1A can very easily stand up to the stresses of 0.23 operation. I've posted the original .craft files to my SpacePort account (under the series title of "Ye Olde Stocke Crafte") for anyone who wants to fool around with them.

EDIT: Now that SpacePort has sadly bit the dust, the Ye Olde Stocke Crafte pack can now be found on Curse.

EDIT AGAIN: Now updated to 0.90, and pretty much future-proof now that the devs have announced that they're not going to be significantly changing existing stock mechanics.

Edited by zxczxczbfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.