CLASS E Asteroid on an Encounter Trajectory with Kerbin!!!!!! Help!

Okay, I got tons of asteroids orbiting the sun most small or medium, But there's ONE Class E on an encounter trajectory with kerbin, What do i do? It's orbiting the sun at the moment but it's current orbit is leading to a kerbin encounter trajectory, How do i stop this?

(my first ever asteroid i've done the scenario which was fun but now i'm on my own)

So should i send sattellites then a ship to go grab it or what? Please walk me through this steps please hehe.

"Encounter" or "impact"?

Seriously, you don't have to sweat roids. They won't hurt anything if they hit Kerbin.

Size E roids weigh like 3000 tons so they take SERIOUS horsepower to move them at all. You might want to start with something smaller.

"Encounter" or "impact"?

Seriously, you don't have to sweat roids. They won't hurt anything if they hit Kerbin.

Size E roids weigh like 3000 tons so they take SERIOUS horsepower to move them at all. You might want to start with something smaller.

K i have tons of small ones, How exactly do i get to them and what do i do with them once i've grabbed them, Shoot them twords the sun make em burn?

There's already a thread on how to rendezvous with roids:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74559-How-to-rendez-vous-with-an-asteroid

In general, though, the point is to change the roid from being a fly-by (or impact) to being in a stable orbit somewhere in the Kerbin system, so you can then study it at leisure. Or make the thing crash into KSC or your Mun base. Whatever mood you're in :).

There's already a thread on how to rendezvous with roids:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74559-How-to-rendez-vous-with-an-asteroid

In general, though, the point is to change the roid from being a fly-by (or impact) to being in a stable orbit somewhere in the Kerbin system, so you can then study it at leisure. Or make the thing crash into KSC or your Mun base. Whatever mood you're in :).

Lol k thanks

Calm down man... how big would you say it is?

they're always throwing around these geographical comparisons to give us a sense of scale like it really means anything to us

but its like it doesn't matter its always just like: WOW THATS PRETTY FREAKING BIG

like...

"mr president theres a meteor coming sir."

"oh yeah, how big is it?"

"its the size of texas sir"

"OH SHOOT"

"how big is it? its the size of new york city sir"

"OH SHOOT"

"sir i'm afraid the comet is the size of your mother"

"OH SNAP"

"sir are you familiar with jupiter"

"you mean like the planet?"

"yeah"

"well its that big sir"

"hmm that sounds pretty big"

"i have a question"

"is it jupiter?"

"yes sir, earth is literally under siege by planet freakin jupiter"

"OH SHOOT..."

An E class was actually the first thing I captured =P

If it's the same one that I got you can do it a bunch of nervas and 2 orange tanks. I would recommend at least 6 nervas. This will get you about 150 m/s.

It will require about 50 m/s once you grabbed it. 30 to get it on a gracing encounter with kerbin, and then just a few meters per second to capture it. You will need quite a bit of RCS aswell.

Also wrestling with that enormous thing I found that the easiest way to deal with them is to unlock the pivot of the claw and then try to keep pushing the center of mass towards the maneuver marker, like you would push the retrograde marker towards your target in the final stages of a rendezvous. If you attempt to do it with the pivot locked any misalignment will produce some amount of torque, and when you notice it there will be so much momentum that it's very hard to stop.

Edited by maccollo

An E class was actually the first thing I captured =P

If it's the same one that I got you can do it a bunch of nervas and 2 orange tanks. I would recommend at least 6 nervas. This will get you about 150 m/s.

It will require about 50 m/s once you grabbed it. 30 to get it on a gracing encounter with kerbin, and then just a few meters per second to capture it. You will need quite a bit of RCS aswell.

Also wrestling with that enormous thing I found that the easiest way to deal with them is to unlock the pivot of the claw and then try to keep pushing the center of mass towards the maneuver marker, like you would push the retrograde marker towards your target in the final stages of a rendezvous. If you attempt to do it with the pivot locked any misalignment will produce some amount of torque, and when you notice it there will be so much momentum that it's very hard to stop.

I just saved kerbin, My first meteor was actually a size C

Okay, I got tons of asteroids orbiting the sun most small or medium, But there's ONE Class E on an encounter trajectory with kerbin, What do i do? It's orbiting the sun at the moment but it's current orbit is leading to a kerbin encounter trajectory, How do i stop this?

(my first ever asteroid i've done the scenario which was fun but now i'm on my own)

So should i send sattellites then a ship to go grab it or what? Please walk me through this steps please hehe.

My advice... their is no where to run... time for a colony ship me thinks... ;)

My advice... their is no where to run... time for a colony ship me thinks... ;)

Hehe, I'm actually setting up my munar colony as i reply. I'm still learning how to use KAS to hook up the stuff together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.