Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts)

Halban

A journey to a new home.

The time has come to colonize another world. One of the inner moons of Jool has the potential to be a second home for Kerbalkind.
This will be a key step for interstellar exploration and colonization of many other star systems.

HsAl2zb.png

Edited by adsii1970
Edited by moderator: CPOTM image added.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:37 AM, Superluminal Gremlin said:

Wooooahhhhhhh. Thats sick, man. How did you get that long shot of the SSTO entering Laythe? Physics range extender? Also that Colony looks amazing. I really hope you make more, that was incredible.

The reentry trail is actually made in after effects cause it isnt really possible in game. There isn't actually an SSTO in the raw video itself. and the colony took a LOONGG time to make lol, suprised the kraken hasn't attacked it.

• 1 month later...

Quite an annoying little question, but

How do good cinematic?

1. How do mission idea?

2. What mods?

3. What video recorder?

4. What video editor?

5. How do I make everything sync up the music?

6. How do good thumbnail?

7. How do I get good camera shots?

8. Do I need a NASA supercomputer or can I use my gaming laptop?

I've been planning on making a cinematic for a long time now, but I just have no idea how to...

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

@Aerodynamic Kerbal

1. How do mission idea?

A storyboard is best for planning a narrative. It gives you an idea of the story arc and the camera's perspective. 

2. What mods?

You don't need any, the capture view is pretty cool on KSP2, but KSP probably does have some wicked cool camera mods. I seent em.

3. What video recorder?

I use OBS to capture.

4. What video editor?

I use Blender to edit. Many people really dislike Blender's editor. I really like it.

5. How do I make everything sync up the music?

You can scrub (scroll through frames) the videos in your editor and sync them up with the waveform of the audio.

6. How do good thumbnail?

After spending a lot of time in the editor you'll find a nice image that represents your vid. You just add graphics if you want. (Also shown in link above)

7. How do I get good camera shots?

Messing around. Accidentally. Practice. It's like launching a rocket in the game. Didn't get the expected result? Change something and do it again... and again...

8. Do I need a NASA supercomputer or can I use my gaming laptop?

A gaming laptop will get the job done. A NASA supercomputer would do it faster.

Edited by Socraticat
Shoutout

52 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

You don't need any, the capture view is pretty cool on KSP2, but KSP probably does have some wicked cool camera mods. I seent em.

I was talking about KSP1 visual and camera mods, anyways thank you for the help!

Another question, how do I record enough footage for it to stack up to 3-5 minutes?

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

3 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

how do I record enough footage

It's not considered strange to have hours of footage recorded for 5 minutes of published content. You can do more, you can do less... It really just depends on your project and particular artistic process (maybe your hardware).

I have my setting to record just under or at "perceptually lossless" for 1080 and that gets me some large file sizes. I make sure to have around 100gigs of free space to record and move for editing.

The next step is finding a process that allows you to record in manageable chunks- record, play for a purpose, and cut for a take. Do that over and over until you are satisfied with the recordings you have, then review that footage to find the takes you want to keep- toss the rest into an archive until you're sure you don't need it any more.

3 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

KSP probably does have some wicked cool camera mods. I seent em.

I know this is what you are looking for. I just don't use them, so someone else more knowledgeable will have to fill you in.

On 8/8/2023 at 3:30 PM, Socraticat said:

3. What video recorder?

I use OBS to capture.

I tried using it, but it lagged (the game itself was running at 50 fps, but the recording was awful). I searched the problem up on the internet, fixed some settings and now its ok. But during the first seconds of launching a rocket, the lag returns. How do I fix this/Is there a different recorder that records exactly whats happening on screen with 60fps?

14 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

How do I fix this/Is there a different recorder that records exactly whats happening on screen with 60fps?

I hear that some people like nvidia shadowplay for recording.

I really think it's because KSP2 makes the computer cry right now, not all because of the software. Have you tried it with different games?

In my personal experience, I can't record KSP2 on my 2060 at all. I can record KSP2 at 1080 very well on my 3080, but 4k is very choppy. I can record Cyberpunk at 4k on my 3080, and I assume I can record at 1080 on the 2060. That's a lot of data to just say that I think the problem is with the game and the processing power it currently requires during certain sequences, launch being one of them.

Speaking with candor: Maybe OBS doesn't handle capturing well (I haven't tried other programs), or maybe the game needs more time to optimize. Speaking of optimization, now I want to try shadowplay but recognize I also need to update my drivers, so thanks for the reminder?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't remember if I posted this here or not, but I made a sort of sizzle reel for my older animations around a year ago  (for Runway Project Seasons 2 - 4). I'll be doing one for Season 5 soon enough. Note that no kerbals are ever harmed in the production of my videos lol, it's all AI - piloted. Well, I mean I'm still animating them. But canonically, it's AI piloted.

• 4 weeks later...