[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

1 hour ago, Mr_Breeze said:

Okay, I'll get right on it. I don't understand how the Mk2 parts are legacy, when the Mk2 b series doesn't have fuel tanks or crew cabins.. it seems the Mk2 series is more complete, and I wouldn't call the older series legacy until the new series is complete. Maybe I overlooked something though. I just like the look of the Mk2 and the B9 procedural wings ( over the procedural wings mod, who wants all of their wings to use one texture and look identical?!?!).

I will report back when my research is complete. Please let me know if it is not something you will not have time for, since it was legacy. If needed I may update them myself for personal use, or share them with the team if you'd like. I would hope to get credit as a contributor though :cool:

Here is what I was referring to. Pages 21 and 22. There is likely also some discussion on this subject around other places. I wouldn't know where to look though, not being a KSP modder.

Quotes from that discussion.

"I just had that annoying thing happen again with the Kerbals getting no experience. In this case, I took four tourists out to look at the sun in the 2.5m observation dome, but they apparently didn't like the flight because they received no experience and I didn't get paid for the contract.

Have we figured out how to fix this yet?"

"OK, I just confirmed that if I added that vesselType=Ship line to the observation dome, it now works to accrue experience and tourist contracts.

I also noticed that the vesselType  for the stock Squad cupola is Lander. I have no idea why it would be Lander, but it is.

Does anybody know what the vesselType parameter is for (other than to trigger that Kerbals inside it gain experience)?"

The legacy stuff was mostly bac9's doing.  The idea is that the new parts work a bit better with stock parts, though I agree that they are by no means complete.

So if I'm reading that discussion correctly then adding vesselType = Ship to all of the crewed parts will fix the issue?  Could you link to the exact post you're quoting?

Yes, that is the impression I am getting. Add vesseltype=ship to all crewed parts for a fix. There may be more appropriate tags that work as well though. The discussion is on both page 21 and 22. This is a link directly to the quoted text.

Edit: It should be easy enough to test. Add the tag, accept a relevant contract, and then throw the cabin in the relevant location/orbit with hyper edit.

Edited by Mr_Breeze

11 minutes ago, Mr_Breeze said:

Awesome. Will update via ckan tomorrow (10hrs or so), to test. Was the Mk2 crew cabin the only one that needed the fix, or did you not have time to check the other crew cabins?

It looks like they all had the vesselType set properly.  I guess it must have slipped through the cracks for whoever did them originally.

On 3/9/2016 at 10:04 PM, blowfish said:

The legacy stuff was mostly bac9's doing.  The idea is that the new parts work a bit better with stock parts, though I agree that they are by no means complete.

So if I'm reading that discussion correctly then adding vesselType = Ship to all of the crewed parts will fix the issue?  Could you link to the exact post you're quoting?

I would like to see both varieties available, in both current and classic textures.  I might take a look at how much work remapping the textures would be.  However, without source textures of at least four times the quality level, I will experience quality loss from scaling the different segments of the texture, unless there is a way to apply a transformation matrix on render to the old texture to make it compatible as-is.

I am tempted to make a transformation matrix texture handling plugin, however I would need help as I have zero experience in that sort of thing.  I can write out my theory, if you want though, and you can take a look if anyone on the B9 project would be interested in flushing out the algorithm.

To put it in very simple terms the algorithm uses an index matrix to select pixels or blocks from a texture atlas that can be loaded as a texture (or sparse texture if the extension permits)  Each block or pixel is selected by a pixel on an XY index pallet.  For a larger block size 8bit values for each of X and Y are used, for smaller block sizes or single pixels, 16bit selectors are used for each of X and Y.  16bit XY mode would be particularly good for sparse texture handling, which may be possible to add as a mod in KSP 1.1 considering the new Unity release being used.

One could also use 12 bit per a dimension XY maps if the video hardware supports it, and one could theoretically truncate the high bits or use them as page selectors to allow for selection between multiple texture maps.

Edited by Ruedii
More info

20 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

I would like to see both varieties available, in both current and classic textures.  I might take a look at how much work remapping the textures would be.  However, without source textures of at least four times the quality level, I will experience quality loss from scaling the different segments of the texture, unless there is a way to apply a transformation matrix on render to the old texture to make it compatible as-is.

I am tempted to make a transformation matrix texture handling plugin, however I would need help as I have zero experience in that sort of thing.  I can write out my theory, if you want though, and you can take a look if anyone on the B9 project would be interested in flushing out the algorithm.

To put it in very simple terms the algorithm uses an index matrix to select pixels or blocks from a texture atlas that can be loaded as a texture (or sparse texture if the extension permits)  Each block or pixel is selected by a pixel on an XY index pallet.  For a larger block size 8bit values for each of X and Y are used, for smaller block sizes or single pixels, 16bit selectors are used for each of X and Y.  16bit XY mode would be particularly good for sparse texture handling, which may be possible to add as a mod in KSP 1.1 considering the new Unity release being used.

One could also use 12 bit per a dimension XY maps if the video hardware supports it, and one could theoretically truncate the high bits or use them as page selectors to allow for selection between multiple texture maps.

Theoretically I guess this is possible, but I know basically zero about manipulating textures at runtime - my coding expertise in KSP is in PartModules and just about nothing else.  If you want to take a stab at this, go ahead, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in trying to learn how to do.

Edited by blowfish

On 9/1/2014 at 5:09 PM, bac9 said:

Q: I can't find those huge blocky parts from the opening image in my part catalog. Why are those missing?

They were recently separated into another download as they mostly don't share dependencies with the main part of the mod and as many people prefer not to use them.

Where exactly is this download?

8 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Where exactly, not a general location. I assumed it's on the github but I cannot find it.

It's there in the download. The folder is named "B9_Aerospace_HX " Just click "Download ZIP" on the right and that will give you everything.

Alright, I have a question about the HX parts. I took notice of an album of pictures the show the launch and configuration of a space station in the old screenshots section (this one: http://i.imgur.com/dVQGewk.jpg) and I really liked it as I've wanted to try and do something similar but never had the parts to do as I'd like. So, I decided to, while using that album as a reference, try and do exactly that. The problem is, there seems to be HX parts in that album that I simply don't have. For example, in the fourth image, you can see a end/corner style rcs port but I don't seem to have it. Have this and other parts simply been removed or am I missing something here?

6 hours ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Alright, I have a question about the HX parts. I took notice of an album of pictures the show the launch and configuration of a space station in the old screenshots section (this one: http://i.imgur.com/dVQGewk.jpg) and I really liked it as I've wanted to try and do something similar but never had the parts to do as I'd like. So, I decided to, while using that album as a reference, try and do exactly that. The problem is, there seems to be HX parts in that album that I simply don't have. For example, in the fourth image, you can see a end/corner style rcs port but I don't seem to have it. Have this and other parts simply been removed or am I missing something here?

They show up fine for me.  Check again that they aren't showing up in the "command and control" category in sandbox mode, and if they aren't, then post your logs.

On 3/12/2016 at 8:35 PM, V8jester said:

It's there in the download. The folder is named "B9_Aerospace_HX " Just click "Download ZIP" on the right and that will give you everything.

On 3/12/2016 at 8:36 PM, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Ah, thank you so much!

Just saw this.  Unless you have a specific reason to download the repository, you should just download from the releases page.  All of the packs are there.

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

I'm probably an idiot but I can't seem to find those box parts. Ya know like that ginormous mothership in with those little (or probably big) spaceplanes. Can I PLEEEEASE have some help!

See my answer above.

Edited by blowfish

35 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Just saw this.  Unless you have a specific reason to download the repository, you should just download from the releases page.  All of the packs are there.

Oops my bad. I just copied the link in your signature like always. I forgot about that seperate download page. Thanks for looking out for us.

7 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

They're not there and I don't know how to post logs. What are the parts called in the folder(s)? I could search for them but I don't know what to look for

On the release page, there is a file called B9_Aerospace_HX_6-0-1.zip.  Do you not see it?

Hey, I noted some glitches with the parts/legacy parts packs:

Firstly, the jet engines in the pack don't seem to have any effects (sound, animation or visual).

Second, the Mk2 to Mk1 adaptor cockpit does not seem to fit with Mk2 parts:

7D4527A812E9BF90023CF885DD5B6836DF3EF5E7

3692C3F7A02B56996D623CE7182DA0D4E1F819EA

9221B03548F46D5AF72110C51B5044FE93D4DA5B

Apart from these bugs, it's a solid mod and I'm glad to see it back.  

15 minutes ago, Psyfer said:

Firstly, the jet engines in the pack don't seem to have any effects (sound, animation or visual).

Do you have any other effects mods installed, say HotRckets or RealPlume?  They might not be compatible with the latest versions of B9.

If both of those are no, did you install SmokeScreen? (Required dependency for B9)

18 minutes ago, Psyfer said:

Second, the Mk2 to Mk1 adaptor cockpit does not seem to fit with Mk2 parts:

It's always been like that and it's not changing.  That's why those parts are now legacy.  That was the original Mk2 cross section before Porkjet's Spaceplane Plus parts became stock.

8 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Do you have any other effects mods installed, say HotRckets or RealPlume?  They might not be compatible with the latest versions of B9.

If both of those are no, did you install SmokeScreen? (Required dependency for B9)

I have smokescreen, but it may be an old version (had some issues with Ckan).  Will update and see if that fixes the problem.  

8 minutes ago, blowfish said:

It's always been like that and it's not changing.  That's why those parts are now legacy.  That was the original Mk2 cross section before Porkjet's Spaceplane Plus parts became stock.

Ah, I admit I never noticed the difference until now.  It's a shame, that cockpit's still one of the best looking cockpits in the game and works great with BD's Radars... I guess the next step is to chase down some legacy Mk 2 parts then. :D

So, I'm having a bit of an issue with some HX parts. Specifically the SAS module and the adapter piece that converts from size 1 to smaller not HX parts. I usually use the adapter to attach some sort of cockpit for crew and then behind it I put the reaction wheel just because it works well. Well, the issue I'm having is that, after launch and achieving orbit, if I return to the KSC and then go back to the ship in orbit, these two pieces that were previously attached will no longer be attached. The, now, two segments of the ship will then slowly drift apart; one into space and the other into the atmosphere. I've tried reloading the save, relaunching, and a few other things. At this point, I'm likely going to just omit the reaction wheel or the adapter from my designs (still not sure which exactly is the issue), but I wanted to share the bug I found so it could be dealt with when the time is had.