Kopernicus Core - Version NAN - Outdated

_Augustus_

Erm... I installed the Sentar pack and it doesn't work at all. The Sentar/Stella pack from earlier today worked great...

When RSS goes to load, it shows "Whatever/35" completed, but stops at the stock planets and then just loads the stock planets. I could reuse the old Stella pack, but I'd rather have the Sentar pack (apparently the new Sentar pack says 35 bodies total while the Sentar/Stella said 33, so I guess the new Sentar has more planets by itself? Or is that a bug) because Stella is rather difficult to get to and isn't as developed as the PF Kerbol system. (Not to rip on Stella if you made it, it is just new and I think needs a bit more content if you will.)

On another note, the "core" pack comes with RSS set up for with the PF planets, etc... but the Sentar pack itself comes with no RSS config at all? Shouldn't the RSS config go with the Sentar pack and the core pack should just contain... well, a core pack that doesn't reference the PF planets?

Edited by GigaG

I asked the guy. Until he agrees, I'm keeping it but not releasing 1.1. If he disagrees, I'll remove it.

Dude that is not how licenses work. License are made for a reason. Just because he hasn't responded doesn't mean you can use his stuff until he says no. Also please stop using popular mods names in the name of your config packs, just to grab peoples attention. If you want to be unique and helpful to the community use your own name for your own pack.

Okay, the Sentar pack is broken because I edited the flightglobals. I'll release a patch shortly. Okami, I did not make Jool+, outer planets, or Kerbol+, they are just other Kopernicus packs.

I'm removing the mass driver as well even though I never released it.

And the RSS config included in the core has all the planets in it, including ones from planet packs not made by me. The whole point of the core is to be kind of like the Community Resource Pack.

Edited by _Augustus_

I like the idea of the common API, listing the flightglobals to ensure compatibility, etc. Your instructions has helped me created some rudimentary planet terrain too.

You need to change your mod a little to support it, though. Move the new planets to a MM config, drop the included mods, etc.

Sentar Expansion by _Augustus_ (Uses flightglobalsindexes 147 - 165, info on bottom of page)

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier.

I do not know how to make this any clearer.

YOU DID NOT MAKE THE SENTAR EXPANSION. THE SENTAR EXPANSION WAS CREATED BY KRAG. THE CREDIT FOR THAT PLANET PACK SHOULD GO TO KRAG. YOU SHOULD NOT BE TAKING CREDIT FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU DID NOT MAKE.

All you can take credit for is porting it over to a different planet creation mod.

I love the idea behind this what you have done, but you have got to learn to respect copyrights.

Edited by Vaporo

On a lighter note, Vaporo, how's that planet of yours going? Are you gonna release it?

I've hit a bit of a wall. ScaledSpace doesn't work properly, and the ScaledSpace sunlight is projected at 90 degrees away from the sun. I do not know how to fix it.

Everyone needs to stop this hate, before moderators arrive and lock the thread.

But we have a reason. You don't mind licenses, we don't mind to say our opinion. It's great that you want to get something working again, but please don't ignore licenses or something like that. :wink:

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

I've hit a bit of a wall. ScaledSpace doesn't work properly, and the ScaledSpace sunlight is projected at 90 degrees away from the sun. I do not know how to fix it.

Did you add a normal map?

Put a download and maybe I can find the problem. It could just be an issue with the textures.

-SNIP-

Seriously, ignore all these wannabe backseat lawyers. You aren't intentionally ripping anyone off, and pretty much everything made for KSP can fall under something called "fair-use". -SNIP-. This whole sub-culture is toxic, release everything under public domain and let people expand on it however they wish.

So _Augustus_ put in the effort to make old planets work again (or at least organize a pack for the rest of us). At least we can use them without wiping our saves like PFCE currently does. Quit hating on him, what the hell have the rest of you contributed?

Edited by Master Tao

Even if Augustus is doing some things in a questionable manner, he means no harm and has packaged this mod in a relatively easy-to-use manner. I love the idea.

Kopernicus question - Do the new bodies have biomes, are they a single biome, or do they take the biomes of their "base" body?

Whenever I try to load any planet packs with this, the game hangs when the loading screen gets to the Kopernicus textures. There's no indication in KSP.log or Player.log that anything went wrong; it just hangs. It's probably not a memory issue, as Player.log usually mentions something about malloc and being unable to allocate region when that happens. The only other theory I could plausibly see is that it's ATM, but it hangs for 5 minutes on a single texture, which sounds a bit extreme, even for ATM.

I'm not expecting anyone to have a magic solution to this problem, and I'll be working to try to figure out the relevant conflict, but before I do, does this sound like anything that's come up before?

EDIT: Also, how's StarSystems compatibility? I heard there were problems, but it seems someone's getting them to work together.

Edited by Whovian

Seriously, ignore all these wannabe backseat lawyers. You aren't intentionally ripping anyone off, and pretty much everything made for KSP can fall under something called "fair-use". -SNIP-. This whole sub-culture is toxic, release everything under public domain and let people expand on it however they wish.

So _Augustus_ put in the effort to make old planets work again (or at least organize a pack for the rest of us). At least we can use them without wiping our saves like PFCE currently does. Quit hating on him, what the hell have the rest of you contributed?

As far as I can see, no-one is criticizing _Augustus_ for his efforts in recreating the planets using Kopernicus. The issue lies in the way he has chosen to go about it.

There have been several mods that have changed hands without this sort of drama, mainly due as far as I can see to the new authors taking care to ask permission beforehand, attributing credit where credit is due, and carefully differentiating the new version from the old.

Declaring the KSP modding scene as toxic does not make it so. The major benefit for a mod-creator, asides from scratching a personal itch, is the kudos they receive for their investment of time and effort. This is negated if you or I can casually grab a mod, repackage it, and declare ourselves the 'author'.

This is a lesson _Augustus_ seems to be learning at this stage. His enthusiasm is admirable, his execution so far, less so. Given his age, I can forgive the latter. With a bit more due-diligence on his part he may yet be a force to be reckoned with in the community.

I think the whole "RSS Config with all planet packs" seems confusing. Whenever a new pack comes out, you have to redownload the core. (Not trying to start a curse-money controversy like the last guy - I love this mod!)

Also, I'm still getting the "RSS issue" from my post yesterday. I think it has to do with having all the planet packs in one config. You really should redistribute those configs to each pack.

Edited by GigaG

Whenever I try to load any planet packs with this, the game hangs when the loading screen gets to the Kopernicus textures. There's no indication in KSP.log or Player.log that anything went wrong; it just hangs. It's probably not a memory issue, as Player.log usually mentions something about malloc and being unable to allocate region when that happens. The only other theory I could plausibly see is that it's ATM, but it hangs for 5 minutes on a single texture, which sounds a bit extreme, even for ATM.

I'm not expecting anyone to have a magic solution to this problem, and I'll be working to try to figure out the relevant conflict, but before I do, does this sound like anything that's come up before?

EDIT: Also, how's StarSystems compatibility? I heard there were problems, but it seems someone's getting them to work together.

The solution was 10 or so pages back, and yes, it's because ATM is not used to 10mb textures.

With StarSystems, Artyomka is still using PFCE because it's still broken with Kopernicus.

I think the whole "RSS Config with all planet packs" seems confusing. Whenever a new pack comes out, you have to redownload the core. (Not trying to start a curse-money controversy like the last guy - I love this mod!)

Also, I'm still getting the "RSS issue" from my post yesterday. I think it has to do with having all the planet packs in one config. You really should redistribute those configs to each pack.

It's the flightglobals. I'm deleting the Sentar expansion since Sentar isn't really an expansion anyone liked, and I couldn't make it that well. Also, I couldn't really get Ablate, Ascension, or Inaccessable working the way they should have.

In the meantime, everyone have fun making their own planets while I work on Stella.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, can a mod please delete the poll?

Edited by _Augustus_

I'm having an issue with the planets I'm making. The gas giants work fine, but the rocky bodies have their day side perpendicular to the line-of-sight to the sun, and I'm unable to fix this. Thanks in advance

You need to provide a normal map. If you don't then that's what happens...