... Orbits

Hi everyone!

Glad to join the forum, and meet other Kerbonauts. :)

Something strange happened to me last night while leaving Duna's orbit... I wanted to show you several pictures of this strange issue that I encountered.

mini_187080DSC0433.jpg

mini_667263DSC0435.jpg

mini_125498DSC0429.jpg

mini_979693DSC0432.jpg

The orbits displayed (after setting maneuver nodes up) seem to do pretty much what they want...

Or is that correct orbits? I'm pretty sure it is NOT... but if somebody can explain me this warp zone I fell in, it would be awesome.

Thank you in advance,

Kronenben

It looks like a combination of a weird conics setting*, and Ike being Ike, where Ike is not so much a moon, as it is Murphy made manifest. I forget how to change your conics setting, and there's nothing to be done about Ike, unfortunately.

*How your orbit is portrayed on the map. For example, a lunar flyby could be projected either from Kerbin's frame of reference or the Mun's frame of reference.

While a little rare, this isn't that difficult to find. It's a fairly long-standing but elusive bug in the patched conics code somewhere. It's not usually a major hassle; fiddling with your trajectory just a little usually irons it out. :)

Also, you can take screenshots with... F2? or was it F1... I forget. One of those. They'll come out a lot clearer than a camera shot of the screen, anyhow. They'll turn up in the Screenshots folder under your KSP directory. :D

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys! @vexx32 : Yep, I found this shortcut several days after this post... ^^ (Screenshot shortcut is F1, F2 is UI visibility) :D

It was strange enough to share it with you, as I wasn't sure if it was a bug in the code, or a simple maths consequence of a trajectory passing near the center of a celestial body... Giving weird orbital values and behavior. :huh:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.