Phoenix Mars Lander

Zucal

Phoenix Lander

Phoenix was a stationary lander built by NASA that arrived at Mars in May of 2008. Its purpose was to search for life and research the history of water on Mars. It landed near the martian pole, and did science for almost 2 years before lack of solar power ended its mission in 2008. Hopefully this does it some justice. If you want a download, just say so and I'll put one up.

Craft Info: 149 parts, 11.4 tons, and a slightly overkill 4169 m/s of dv.

Now for some beauty shots!

tiNfeMl.png

rmIOxIh.png

pQtFCHo.png

Reference image:

532701092013154211.jpg

Thanks for viewing, and if you enjoyed this, feel free to leave some rep!

Very nice have some rep

You could improve the solar panels look by angling them slightly so that they don't texture overlay.

And the struts on the landing parts might be placed first form there so that you can move them afterward for a cleaner look.

Also you can mirror this cable strut on 1 leg then duplicate the leg 4 times to get a perfectly even strutting.

Edited by RevanCorana

Nice. I really like what you did with the struts. I did the same on one of my mini-lander designs.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you make those strut legs?

He probably made the cubic strut float with VAB/SPH postition nodes and attached normal struts to it. That's how I do it. Might be other very small part like the thermometer, or some other scientific instrument.

Seriously, would love a step by step tutorial on how to do those legs. With pictures. I'm not a smart man.

I was about to post that today. I probably will. Just give me 12 hours to sleep and sober.

Here's a guide for the legs:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43086-Open-Source-Construction-Techniques-for-Craft-Aesthetics?p=1858410#post1858410

Edited by Veeltch

I was about to post that today. I probably will. Just give me 12 hours to sleep and sober.

Here's a guide for the legs:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43086-Open-Source-Construction-Techniques-for-Craft-Aesthetics?p=1858410#post1858410

That's not at all what he did here though, it appears to be two struts bound together. If that's not what he did, the part that is bound is impossibly small, I don't know anything that would be completely obstructed like that.

Hehe, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I had prom and a debate tournament to go to :) What I did was add 3 of the smallest size landing leg, Attach struts from the probe body to the end of the landing leg, then retract the landing leg. Struts stay where they are, although they're physics-less so they don't act exactly like real landing legs. This was a first pass, I want to review it later and clean those up, along with a number of other things.

Hehe, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I had prom and a debate tournament to go to :) What I did was add 3 of the smallest size landing leg, Attach struts from the probe body to the end of the landing leg, then retract the landing leg. Struts stay where they are, although they're physics-less so they don't act exactly like real landing legs. This was a first pass, I want to review it later and clean those up, along with a number of other things.

I didn't think to try that, had no success trying it with antennae

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.