[bug]Jet Engines Broken Drag Model

Well as the title says, right now both the whiplash and the panther have completely BROKEN drag models, to the point that you get like less then 0.1 drag at mach 3 near sea level.  If this is intentional, then please tell me why, cause it seems rather awkward that the new best nosecone is a panther engine :D.  If you dont mind the extra mass (its not quite good for rockets as 1.2t is a bit high), but stick a panther on the nose of a plane and it does get way less drag.

That's amusing to make a nosecone out of it. Not something I would think of! Have you tried a Juno nosecone?

But I'd think that the answer is that when an engine is in it's proper location, that it is completely out of the airstream. So you either need a clever and complex airflow model that calculates the microenvironment around the part and has reasonable drag values -- or you program it up using the same airflow for all the parts and then put really low drag values on things that sit at the back end of the jet/rocket. And KSP currently does the 2nd.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.