[1.05] NoFuel - all tanks defueled

selfish_meme

IzgjNdQ.png

Hi All,

It's my first mod, first release etc. It's hardly a mod really just an MM script that takes all the fuel out of tanks. I want to build it into something better, a couple of issues with the MM script occur to me straight away, no dV with empty tanks, CoM is also a problem. This was just a really simple way to get something going initially. I also want to eventually add a contract pack that supplies early career with some infrastructure and contracts to build it out.

The idea is that, like IRL fuel is now a resource that needs to be provided, it just does not magically come into being. This mod adds another dimension to the gameplay by encouraging you to find, mine, transport, refine and fuel your Space Program. So any ship launched will not have any fuel and you must fuel it first before taking off. To do that you must have a re-fueller craft, storage tanks, a refinery, land, sea and air transport craft, and mines/platforms.

Here is the initial release (it's only a few lines of script, I have tested and it works as advertised), let me know if you find the idea intriguing or have any issues.

Licence is CC by 4.0

Edited by selfish_meme

This could be interesting. I imagine you'd need to launch every rocket with a fuelling apparatus, such as a docking port and detachable 'fuel reserves'.

The problem is, you'd need a system that has a very low part count so that it won't bog down your rocket loading onto the launchpad.

I imagine a low part "refueler" parked next to the runway and/or VAB, tanker trucks and a storage facility a middle distance away, more than a km seems to keep the part counts from impacting performance a lot. Mining stations or sea platforms with trucks and ships going between them and a terminal a bit down the coast.

The guy in the development thread has much bigger ideas

I did this manually in my high tech save.  A little RTG powered jeep with a klaw on it to gently grab the rockets and KAS fuel hoses on the back to connect to the huge tanker/miner combo that would belly up to the launch pad.

Got a bit inconvenient since the giant tires kept popping from the weight of the 40k units of fuel needed to even partially fill my heavy boosters.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just an idea for your great concept from someone who has no idea what ksp's modding framework looks like.

Instead of forcing players to start with their tanks empty, which will cause the problems you listed (dV, CoM), only allow them to fill the tanks with the amount of fuel their base has. Essentially, create a base resource that lists the current amount of on-hand fuel. That way, they still have to create all that infrastructure, but they don't have to fuel in on the pad (unless you want that of course). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.