I realise that you only ever actually interact with other computer programmers but I'm a plumber.

I am trying to get some mods onto my game.

I don't do delving into files very much so it's very very hard for me to do.

Why is there no little does it for you thingy which all I have to do is say yes I want that one and it puts the download into the right file? I'm on steam for F's sake!

I know you like to show off your skills and assume everybody will like the feeling of reaching under the bonnet but how would you like to sort out your leaking radiator? For me that's easy. I can describe how to do it to you. If you followed my perfect advise you would still balls it up. That's me with sorting out this computer. So please set up an auto installer system!

1 hour ago, Tim_the_Plumber said:

I realise that you only ever actually interact with other computer programmers...

Is this a support request or a rant? it sure sounds like a rant to me. I'm not a "computer programmer" and if I was I would likely find this comment even more offensive than I already do.

I'm a plumber

That's nice, I'm an electrician. What's your point?

I know you like to show off your skills and assume everybody will like the feeling of reaching under the bonnet but how would you like to sort out your leaking radiator?

Been there, done that.
Again, while you may be frustrated, this comment is rather pointless unless you intend to offend to those you are asking for assistance...

If you followed my perfect advise you would still balls it up.

I doubt it. I also doubt that insulting peoples intelligence is going to get you much support.

Why is there no little does it for you thingy which all I have to do is say yes I want that one and it puts the download into the right file?

Why is there no button on my car dash that says "fix radiator", and does it all for me?
In the case of KSP, there is something much like what you ask for, and you clearly didn't look very hard for it. However, as you are fairly new here, I'll drop you a link to CKAN, it's probably what you're after.

Installing mods manually is not difficult either, and instructions are on the wiki. 90% of the time it's literally: Unpack the downloaded archive, and put the contents into the GameData directory inside your KSP root directory.
If there's a GameData directory in the archive, put the contents of that in your KSP GameData directory. i.e. you want a '<KSP root>\GameData\mod_name' structure, not '<KSP root>\GameData\GameData\mod_name'.

I'm on steam for F's sake!

Steam has nothing to do with it, and swearing about it won't change that. Steam does not host KSP mods, nor should it. Also, not all KSP players use Steam, myself included.

Edited by steve_v
Syntax error: '(' unexpected.

Thank you a lot Steve-V.

Really, thanks!

The CKAN thingy works a lot better than anything else I have found. The way it sorts out which mods are needed for the one you want is very good.

Lots of the mods I am trying to get don't seen to want to download. The thing just gives an error message.

Waht mods do I need to get the life support/food thingy and the growing stuff in space things? That's my objective.

Thanks again

Hi Tim,

Remember that CKAN isn't perfect and will occasionally cause problems of it's own, I know from experience. I still recommend it, just be aware of that.

Could you post the error? Are any mods downloading? If so, check the website it's trying to download from, websites sometimes go down. Downloading mods 1 at a time seems to work better than all in 1 go. Without more information we can't do more than make suggestions.

Here's a good place to look for mods. Check under Life Support. Version Compatibility doesn't seem to be updated very often so check the mod threads. Which is best for you depends on exactly what you want.

4 hours ago, Tim_the_Plumber said:

Lots of the mods I am trying to get don't seen to want to download. The thing just gives an error message.

The thing about error messages is, even if they mean nothing to you, they are there to convey a message... If you want help with such things (in any software) you really need to post exactly what the message says.

Waht mods do I need to get the life support/food thingy and the growing stuff in space things? That's my objective.

There are several options here, the two that first spring to mind are TAC Life Support (been around forever, but no greenhouses etc. included) and USI Life Support, which is part of RoverDudes collection of awesome mods, and can be extended with off-world kolonisation and other goodies.
Kerbalism is another I have been keeping an eye on, it looks pretty cool so far. :)
There are more of course, check the thread Trigger1112 linked and/or check out SpaceDock (be aware though, it's unofficial and not all mods are hosted there).

With great choice comes some confusion... but many choices are kinda the point when it comes to KSP mods. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.