Can't Launch SSTO From SPH/Runway - Craft too large despite fully upgraded Runway

Hey everyone,

Whenever i try to launch an SSTO from my SPH in it's correct orientation (the length of the plane on the deck), it will give me the error message: Craft is too large for Runway! I get the same error if i try to launch it directly from the runway through the main space center screen. My runway is fully upgraded.

http://imgur.com/aT01n3e

However, if i orientate the craft upward (and basically sit it on its engines) i AM able to launch it... if only it didn't fall over and explode. 

Can someone explain what's going on here and how i can fix it so i can launch my big SSTO's?

What does the little red wrench say, exactly, when you click on it? Which items are highlighted as being beyond max?

I'm going to bet it's a mod incompatibility with one of those mods you've got on there. You might try looking at KER first -- I saw another user have an incompatibility with that recently.

Edited by bewing

3 hours ago, jcthemc said:

Engineers report is telling me that both length and mass are over the limit. But since my runway is fully upgraded, this shouldn't be an issue, right? 

Could KER be enforcing these limits?

You're sure it's fully upgraded? And not just at tier 2? If you right click on the runway, it doesn't give you an "upgrade" button anymore?

If it really is already upgraded to tier 3, then you are right -- there should be no length or mass limits from the game. (Any SPH limitations would be on part counts.)

i think @Kami_K220 is right. The SPH limits the dimensions and part count of the plane. the runway only limits the mass.

If the runway wasn't upgraded, you'd get an addtional error message because the mid level runway only supports a mass of up to 140 tons and that plane seems to be heavier according to the readouts at the bottom of the screen

9 hours ago, bewing said:

You're sure it's fully upgraded? And not just at tier 2? If you right click on the runway, it doesn't give you an "upgrade" button anymore?

If it really is already upgraded to tier 3, then you are right -- there should be no length or mass limits from the game. (Any SPH limitations would be on part counts.)

Runway is fully upgraded, level 3. It's the runway that has both restrictions on size and weight. The last level of SPH upgrade is part count and action groups - so not size nor weight.

I'm starting to think my save might just be screwed and somehow.

4 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

the height and length values seem inverted somehow... did you modify this in the Vab and then move it to the SPH or vice versa? try using the re-root tool to see if it gives you the correct dimensions

I've rerooted the craft half a dozen times with all kinds of parts and somehow i'm still having the same problem. 

16 hours ago, jcthemc said:

Could KER be enforcing these limits?

To find out you just need to unistall KER and try to reproduce the bug.  Or look at mod's thread if someone else have a similar problem. 

BTW,  can you launch it from the VAB and taxi to the runaway?  No really a solution,  maybe a workaround 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.