Flat rocket challenge

I was messing around today, and put this into Orbit,

DADA59423FB268A92B3466F9B7E85A33CF89A264I thought it might be a good idea for a challenge, build a flat rocket, and fly it somewhere.

Level 1 = Orbit

Level 2 = Mun or Duna & Back

Level 3 = Another planet and Back, Duna excluded.

Level 4 = Jool 5 challenge

Edited by Tweeker
Changed rule to make Duna part of Level 2

Flat rockets are fun! They are quite an interesting engineering challenge to build and control, especially if they are really short and wide.

Here's what a 70 cm tall rocket to Moho looks like:

Also, I think you should clarify the rules of your challenge. For example, whats the maximum height allowed? Or, is there a maximum ratio of height to width? Is there going to be a scoring system? Are mods allowed?

Well,

Generally speaking every effort should be made to build the rocket radially.

1)  In general the rocket should use the shortest tank of each size,

.625m =Oscar-b

1.25m = FL-T100

2.5m = X200-8

3.75m = S3-3600

Any mono-prop tanks

The tanks cannot be stacked vertically, but can be added radially.

The middle height tanks are frowned on.

The tallest tanks can be used if they are laid on their sides.

2) Any thing that docks or un-docks, or decouples from the rocket should do so on the side

3) The Kickback, Thumper, and Twin boar must be laid on their sides. The Hammer may be used provided it isn't put "under" anything

4) Engines and heatshields are the only thing that can be put under the rocket, and parachutes or heatshields maybe be attached on top of fuel tanks

5)  All science parts may be installed as you like except:

The Science jr should be radially attached,

The mobile processing lab must be laid down.

I am sure there is more, but In general just stick with the spirit of the challenge.

This nearly but doesn't quite match the description. It's close enough, I hope folk'll find it interesting anyways.

The Asparagus Monster

432.png

Medium tanks of all sizes are staged in a single-layer spiral fashion.The ship starts with 12 tiny oscar-b tanks in the middle, and goes out to 12 of each medium tank all the way up to the 3.5m kerbodyne. Since each scale has 12 tanks, there's 24 stages all asparagussed in there. The thing pushes 10km/s at 4-5TWR. Not particularly impressive, but it's an interesting idea pushed to a silly extreme.

I'm trying to think of a way to run this challenge with sheets of big deltas, but I'm not quite getting it. If I ever do, then off to the mun I'll go.

@Tweeker If you swapped the Vector with a Skipper and sprinkled in some radial SRBs, I have launched that exact rocket. It has all the aerodynamics of a Humvee, but boy it's fun to stage up and fly!

@Stratzenblitz75 Nice camera work! Service bays are indeed the best command pods. Oh, and I love your Eve ∞  mission by the way. 

Edited by Cunjo Carl

@Cunjo Carl   I think your rocket might get a pass, even though it could be flatter.  It's form is still nice and flat.

speaking of bad aerodynamic I built this thing too, It doesn't fit in the definition of the challenge, but it sure has some interesting aero effects, especially when making your turn to circularize.

93D13F077DDDAAB0447AC14DCFC9832473504C55

@Stratzenblitz75

That is outstanding. GG!! That qualifies for level 3 with bonus points

4 hours ago, specialopsdave said:

Are you allowed to mount a Flea SRB on a decoupler under the main engines?

See rule #2

2) Anything that docks or un-docks, or decouples from the rocket should do so on the side

Bang! Zoom! Straight to the Mun!!!!

I tinkered with this during the week.

107A34C926750A347554D6B925EC3B196C6B638D

6187860E40D9CAD8103D2CB5A8C4C5E7B29729D3

It's fairly slow to ascend, Probably because it has so much drag. It doesn't really start picking up speed until you are most of the way out of the atmosphere.

once in orbit it looks like this:

0902D5C16CB6DED0DAB3D756618D3BF4EC9C9C88

That has enough delta V to land on the moon:

5DB6568D4A12B83E098EB861B460F8E932E55190

1ED93F52D19D090062B84D90398A855F46B564C3

And almost enough to return to orbit.

The last stage runs on 2 sparks, and has about 3,300 M/s Delta V or 2,900 if you don't ditch the 6 outside tanks.

A7F499AB8401D68DB085D4058DC4A91AF60ACEF9

That's more than enough to return to Kerbin. Once again it slows down fast, You can aero-brake it in without a heatshield, and you are slow enogh for a chute to open by 15,000 meters. I got cocky and skipped the parachute, but I misjudge the burn. So no engines or landing gear in the picture. 

• 2 weeks later...

I added some moar boosters to the outside of the rocket, 

ED2F35C0B2192E45B804A27625B89597BBE87499

It can make Duna now,

15E7FAA6D38DC740BC76D63349E3C7129CCA14AD

That should be enough for level 3, but It feels too easy. There was not a lot more required than level 2, So i'm going to make a rules change.

Level 2 is now a return mission from The Mun or Duna.

Level 3 is a return mission from any other planet except Duna.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.