Signal relay

Ricovandijk

Hi all, question about signal relay's.

I have an unmanned mun lander with an okto probe (no external antennas)

In low orbit around the mun I have a relay sat with a HG-5 high gain antenna.

the tracking station is upgraded to lvl 2

As seen from the relay sat, the signal to Kerbin is green, to the lander it is red.

As seen from the lander, the signal to Kerbin is red, and there is no signal to the relay sat.

I only get 11% signal strength.

How can I send the signal via the relay sat?

Thanks.

Edited by Ricovandijk

HG-5s are weak, although internal antennae are much weaker in comparison. Your lander is unable to connect to the HG-5 relay. You would need an external antenna on your lander and you will need a connection to Kerbin to hop the signal using HG-5s. (which you seem to have between your relay and the KSC)

Trying to relay signal from HG-5 to HG-5 will only work for rather short distances. It is deceptive as the maximum range for antennae involves both vehicles or the tracking station and the vehicle. The tracking station is quite powerful early on and may make you feel like your external antennae are adequate when they really aren't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.