Boeing 747

Here is my kerbal version of the famous Boeing 747. I have made it for the Airliner safety challenge. To my surprise, it was relatively easy to fly, but kinda hard to land. When you come in for landing you will have to keep your vertical speed very low, and then make sure you touch down on the rear wheels first. It can land on The Old Airstrip, but it's very hard due to the fact that the big wheels don't have any steering, thus often leading to the plane driving down the steep slopes on the sides. If you loose three engines in your flight, you're a pretty bad pilot, but the plane can still fly with only one engine still running. But if it works best if it's one of the to engines closest to the fuselage, as it will otherwise turn slightly. 

• Kerbal capacity: 144 passengers and 4 crew members
  • Wingspan: 47.35m
  • Length: 46.24m
  • Height: 12.46m
  • Engines: 4 J-90 Goliath Turbofan Engines
  • Max speed: 250-350 m/s
  • Service-range: I have no idea, but it has 69,000m/s ΔV, so I guess it will fly quite a long way.
  • Part count: 66
  • Mods: Opt (Only for the tail fin)
    Stock extension (Adds big wings, so it cuts part count down quite a lot)
  • Cost: 366,000:funds:
  • Weight: 170.000 kg wet

If you want to try it for yourself!

Edited by Flamingo

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Very cool.  Now convert it to a Space Shuttle Carrier Aircraft!

I actually did something similar once. I was building a Kantonov (it doesn't look much like the real one tho), and then I got an idea to attach a Russian MAKS shuttle to it. The one most people know is the MAKS OS, but the one built was the MAKS M. It has fuel and everything inside it, thus making it 100% reusable. So I could launch the plane with the MAKS M on top, release the MAKS M at around 9km height, then fly it to orbit. Now I could fly the Kantonov back to the runway. Only funds spent there would be the separator, fuel and payload.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.