Asteroid! - Armageddon/Deep Impact Challenge

This challenge is fairly self-explanatory - there are two modes - Armageddon mode and Deep impact mode. In Armageddon mode, you must create a space shuttle, and rendezvous with an asteroid, redirect it into Kerbin orbit, and (safely) return. Refueling in orbit is allowed. In Deep Impact mode, you must construct a spacecraft in orbit; one that utilises a space shuttle cockpit (Mk-1, MK-2, or MK-3 plane cockpits), and is capable of not only redirecting an asteroid into Kerbin orbit, but into LKO. This is so because, let's be honest, building a spaceship in orbit just to redirect an asteroid is complete overkill, so I added some extra difficulty.

SANY4680.JPG

Mission goal: Rendezvous with an asteroid and redirect it into Kerbin orbit. +20 points.

Armageddon mode general goals:

Realism 1: Make your space shuttle NASA style, ie: the shuttle mounted on the side of an External Tank, with two SRBs on the side. +15

Movie Madness 1: Have two small SRBs on the sides of the shuttle itself to help boost it into either the orbit or to help with the rendezvous. +10

Movie Madness 2: Use a gravity assist of the Mun to help reach the asteroid. +15

Michael Bay 1: Blow up the space station you used for refuelling (if you used one). +15

Crew Safety 1: Include some form of launch abort system on you shuttle. +5

Movie Madness 3: Keep on using you SSMEs (Space Shuttle Main Engines) even after you've ditched the ET. +5

Crew Mobility 1: Include some form of rover in the cargo bay of your shuttle (even though you don't need it). +10

Big Dreams: Use RSS or some other large rescale: Multiply your total score by 5.

Impress me: Points determined from how impressed I am.

Deep Impact mode general goals:

Realism 1: Build you spacecraft in orbit using NASA style space shuttles (see above) and Russian style rockets (I won't be that specific, but make sure it looks like the Proton, has 3 stages; the 1st stage has 6 engines, the next has 4, and the last stage has 1). +15

Movie madness 1: Use the nuclear engines as your main form of propulsion. +10

Aesthetics 1: Have two SRBs mounted on the side of your spacecraft, even if they have no purpose! +10

Crew Safety 1: Have some form of escape pod on your spacecraft. +5

Crew Accommodation 1: Have a crew capacity of 8. +5

Big Dreams: Use RSS or some other large rescale: Multiply your total score by 5.

Impress me: Points determined from how impressed I am.

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

Stock:

Spoiler

Modded:

Spoiler

Big Dreams:

Spoiler

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

• 1 month later...

Nice Idea... but i am realy bad on Space Shuttle's , i think i have to go for Proton... something preventing the use of USI-Konstruktion?

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

I think you'll pick up a few entries from the Shuttle Challenge here, as one of the missions is to capture an asteroid (using a shuttle).  Problem is when I told people to redirect it, I told people to land it also, so you had people like @Nefrums landing Class D's all over the shop:

2TWPGhr.jpg

Much fun was had - This looks like a great challenge :)

SM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.