Tiny deployable relay antenna mod?

Wadusher0

One thing that has frustrated me to no end is the lack of a late game, inner system antenna that I can use as a relay and can deploy from a secondary payload - even in the endgame. So far the only deployable relay antenna I know of that is deployable is the JX2 monstrosity, but even if I tweakscale that to .625m it's still annoyingly long and even then the range is still overkill. Is there any modded antenna the size of a Communitron 88-88 that uses a completely different model and acts as a deployable relay?

Edited by wadusher1

Both Octosat and Coatl Areospace have small folding relay antennas.  I haven't checked the range directly, but they are moderately powerful at least and are small enough to be used as secondary payloads.  (Octosat is pretty much my go-to for relays, actually, as they fit the role fairly well:)

screenshot_2017-01-22--13-17-46.png

That's a complete ship with xenon propulsion and RTG power.  It's overkill for Minmus - but I didn't see any reason to design something else.

5 hours ago, IronCretin said:

The HG-5 is deployable, but it might be too short-range.

The HG-5 is a direct antenna, just like EVERY SINGLE deployable antenna in stock, making it useless. :huh:

I'll stick to DStaal's reccommendations. :) 

2 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

The HG-5 is a direct antenna, just like EVERY SINGLE deployable antenna in stock, making it useless. :huh:

I'll stick to DStaal's reccommendations. :) 

I mean, couldn't you just edit the config of the one you like the look of?

13 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

the cfg file says that HG-5 is a relay, and IIRC it does function as one in the game, it's just the shortest ranged of all the relay antennae.

10 hours ago, IronCretin said:

It's a relay. I've used it as such. It's short range though, but enough to cover, e.g., the far side of the Mun.

Is it? Been a while since I used it - I think it says it's a direct antenna in the editor.

12 hours ago, HorizonFulcrum said:

I mean, couldn't you just edit the config of the one you like the look of?

I don't edit stock parts without a good reason. Besides, ProbesPlus and Octosat have much prettier and more powerful deployable relays, which I'm already using. :wink:

6 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Is it? Been a while since I used it - I think it says it's a direct antenna in the editor.

I don't edit stock parts without a good reason. Besides, ProbesPlus and Octosat have much prettier and more powerful deployable relays, which I'm already using. :wink:

Well, I guess this thread is over then right?:P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.