Space-based forum game

RulerOfNothing

OK, since the other forum game here seems to be dead, I have decided to run my own space-related forum game, but am not completely sure what it should be about.

I am leaning towards a game where the players conduct research, develop and construct spacecraft, and eventually conquer space (or possibly some vague existential threat of some variety) but would like some suggestions.

Since this is my first forum game, I suppose I would like some input into how detailed I should make the research, manufacturing and combat sections of this hypothetical forum game. Also I would like some input into the setting (although Kerbal X-COM sounds interesting)

In fact, I was thinking something along the lines of a forum game like the old Outpost. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have finally come up with some rules for this game. Now in this game the Kerbal Space Program has decided to embark on a colonisation mission.

Game Rules:

Resources

To sustain and expand your colony, you need to extract resources from the environment. Resources are rated according to their Availability, which determines how much resource you get for a certain amount of harvesting capability. For example, if you had a Metal resource with availability 3, and had built a facility with a harvesting capability of 10, you would get 30 units of Metal per turn. I am planning on including at least the following resources at first:

• [li]Air[/li]
    [li]Metal[/li]
    [li]Silicon[/li]
    [li]Water[/li]

Industry

In addition to harvesting resources, many of them can be converted into many useful products. I am still not entirely sure about how to do this, but want to have more complex products require more advanced production facilities.

Construction

You can construct additional structures either inside or outside your colony. Structures are probably going to be made from industrial products, and large structures will require construction equipment.

Storage

The various products and resources have different storage requirements (such that you can't put air in the same kind of container as metal). While each resource will occupy the same amount of space (i.e. 1 unit of water is the same volume as 1 unit of metal), products will have differing sizes.

Now I am trying to think up something about research and coming up with numbers for the above sections. I am wondering however if anyone is interested in a game like this, and whether it should have multiple colonies or just one.