Share your worst or silliest design

spite48

My latest disaster. Stack as many boosters on top of each other as you can. Then take that stack off and make another. Put the two stacks together.

I don't think a .craft is necessary.

Thats the Spear of the Gods!

Except my version has Radiators on it, so no go splodey. Looks like a flaming arrow.

My first experiment with extendable, modular high aspect ratio wing was less than successful.

The problems in the design became apparent almost immediately after launch.

As pilot-in-command Jebediah Kerman applied negative angle of attack to pitch the vehicle to horizontal plane from vertical attitude, the forces from the airflow pushed the wings downward... and apparently due to engineering oversight, they did not provide sufficient counterforce, but instead lacking the rigidity in traditional single-part wings, they bent down under the craft.

screenshot34mq.png

As commander Kerman then applied pitch-up controls, the angle of attack switched to positive, which while the wings were bent under the vehicle, had some radical effects on the position of these uniquely flexible appendages - one wing almost immediately turned upwards while the other stayed bent down.

This led to a series of awkward, dangerous and deeply uncomfortable flight states. Only through superkerbal efforts of the pilot, the vehicle eventually reached a more or less stable attitude and commander Kerman was able to meaningfully maneuver the aircraft.

screenshot35uu.pngscreenshot36c.png

screenshot37o.pngscreenshot38m.png

screenshot39m.pngscreenshot40g.png

screenshot41i.png

'I got this, guys, I got this,' were the only deciphered words from the cockpit voice recorder, heard through unintelligible screaming and whimpering.

Unbelievably enough, the pilot-in-command was able to gain control of the fatally flawed aircraft. After stabilizing the vehicle, commander Kerman performed a right hand turn over the sea and brought her into landing approach.

screenshot44g.png

Unfortunately, as the wings were not capable of producing projected amount of lift (being bent upwards like that), the vehicle was unable to slow down without experiencing too high rate of descent, and commander Kerman had to perform a forced landing at high speed. Due to the landing platform and vehicle parts not being designed to meet at such high horizontal speed, the vehicle and its occupants almost immediately disintegrated and exploded upon contact with the ground.

The brave sacrifice of these three Kermans will not go unforgotten. Research project has been proposed to enable landings at higher speeds; we are currently gathering volunteers for empirical experimentation on the subject. In the meanwhile, our efforts into building an extendable, modular high aspect ratio wing will continue - we have learned much of how not to build one, now we need to learn how to make one that works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.