oops

lump

Have you ever had it where you are thinking about life, the universe and everything, you draw some conclusions and then later found out it was not only a real theory but that it's one of the theories being investigated thoroughly through modern science?

I had this with string theory, in year 5 (I'm English) i was thinking about how you don't need to use 3 dimensions to describe positions, you could just say what layer of a series of 2d arrays it was on (worded simpler than that obviously), i then went on to think about how we don't even need two dimensions to describe it, we could use one. I also thought while learning about the universe why we have the dimensions we do and thought that maybe there is an infinite amount of dimensions, that didn't have order, just like pi, i thought that our universe just so happened to form in an area of 3 space dimensions and one time dimension.

The other day i bothered to research string theory and found it follows similar premises to these to separate ideas i formulated, i was pretty stunned at how close i was with some of my other thoughts as well, it helps you to see what the scientist were thinking when they came up with such theorems.

String theory is a direct result of math though iirc. Don't assume that because some of your ideas are similar to those in science that the scientists had the same thought process to get there. Often coming up with similar ideas is coincidence (see also: Bible apologists who point to all the "amazing" scientific theories the bible predicted).

I'm also not sure how close you are to string theory as I don't really know a whole lot about string theory. So I can't comment on that aspect.

(see also: Bible apologists who point to all the "amazing" scientific theories the bible predicted)

The only scientific thing about the bible is that it depicts encounters with extraterrestrials and their technology but not anything about theories. Could you give some links to some examples of these apologists who point these things out?

But yes, that has happened before. Frustrating, but good to know you're not the only goof thinking if that's possible or not.

The only scientific thing about the bible is that it depicts encounters with extraterrestrials and their technology but not anything about theories. Could you give some links to some examples of these apologists who point these things out?

They say things like "the bible predicted the big bang" (because scientists used to believe the steady state model, whereas christianity posits that the universe had a beginning, which is what we now believe to be true), that the bible predicted the earth was round (he sits above the sphere/circle of the earth), that the earth is floating in space (it hangs on nothing) and many more. Sauce. Note that I have heard these arguments in various places before, I'm not going off a single source, AiG is just a good description of them (and is by no means a niche site).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.