The TARDIS

Epsilon

Which TARDIS version should I do?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. Which TARDIS version should I do?

• Original original (Like William Hartnell)
    • Original (Tom Baker, onwards)
    • New series (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant)
    • NEW NEW (Matt Smith)
    • This model you see here (no change)

Well in the midst of me spending time procrastinating about my Soyuz spacecraft, I came across a thread (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0) regarding the TARDIS as a spacecraft.

WELL I TOOK THAT LITERALLY AND MADE IT.

24qla4x.png

2qk55w2.png

The principal behind this part is... ITS A CHEAT PART!

Well sorta... I don\'t recommend using this for ANY challenges because I intend to give it absurd capabilities.

There will be three parts:

The base or bottom plate (liquid engine)

The main body (fuel tank)

The top with the little lantern (command pod)

There will be no decouplers here, and the liquid engine will be ridiculously powerful, and not use a lot of fuel (it may even have negative fuel consumption)

I will probably make the parts have very strong resistance to crashes, so you can land it safely on the planet, or ocean. (And soon the moon).

I dont think there will be any exhaust trails or anything (perhaps just a light at the top of the vehicle if I feel like it).

Also, can custom sounds be implemented so that the TARDIS makes that VWORP sound?

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

Two small nitpick, dependent a lot on which regen\'s tardis this is: the Pull to Open sign-- isn\'t that the wrong side? And the windows aren\'t quite the right color.

Wow, yes you are right it is. I mustve been thinking of those few episodes where it switched for no apparent reason. I\'ll fix the windows up. I know these textures are really crappy, but at least I can start somewhere. Good to know there are other people who actually want this thing.

Aw man I was gonna do this.

I\'ll just make a dalek then.

Sorry :c

Well, you ARE the better part maker here, so whatever you make is gonna wind up better anyways.

I REALLY need to figure out how to do the collision meshes in blender properly. I can make the block, and call it node_collider, but I don\'t get the whole tagging thing, and whenever I load it up in part lab, it just says collider node found, but no mesh in it.

Wouldnt it be possible to make it an absurdly powerful RCS system so that it can travel in all directions without pitching over if it doesnt want to? :D

I was considering mixing that in.

Then the vehicle would be:

O

===== <--- command pod

| [] | [] | <---- RCS fuel tank

| [] | [] |+<---- RCS thruster (4x)

| [] | [] | <-----Fuel tank

| [] | [] |

===== <---- Liquid Engine

That\'s perfectly fine with me.

The reason I want to do it this way is because I want a throttleable engine that can be used for hovering and soft landings. As opposed to the RCS, where you\'d have to spam it to land fairly safely. I like the powerful RCS though, it will make orbital maneuvering easier.

You should try making the bottom engine exactly counter the weight of the parts above it, so you can control it solely with RCS.

Yes, a sum mass of zero would mean that any push would make it go. Great thinking NovaSilisko!

You should try making the bottom engine exactly counter the weight of the parts above it, so you can control it solely with RCS.

Won\'t that fail at significantly higher-than-ground level altitudes as the gravitational acceleration lessens?

Won\'t that fail at significantly higher-than-ground level altitudes as the gravitational acceleration lessens?

Yeah, quite badly but then thats what throttle is for. I vote for an absurdly high amount of fuel with next to no mass and very low consumption on the engine aswell. Same for the RCS: high capacity, low mass and low consumption. I want to fly to the moon with this thing, return, and not notice any difference in fuel

I\'d really like the RCS version of this, myself. Super-powerful RCS and SAS with a high kP (and perhaps a liquid engine to balance out the weight when near a planet\'s surface) should make a wonderful cheat-ship. Also, I\'m pretty sure you can include custom sounds that loop for as long as a part is active, so… you know what to do ;P

I was going to try to do a quick-and-dirty version myself, but Blender 2.5 is ridiculous and newfangled and apparently even less trackpad-friendly than previous versions…

Yes. I agree with the RCS design.

The only thing is, collision meshes are an irritating thing to do for me blender, and I haven\'t figured it out once. Why the block can\'t just be named node_collider I would like to know.

It also stinks because nobody here seems to mod with blender.

Hmm. I managed to make a model and collision mesh, and import them into the SDK part tester such that the collision mesh wouldn\'t show. However, the texture wouldn\'t load and I got a NullReferenceException, and I have NO idea why.

The mesh needs to be named node_collider, not the object, I believe. Perhaps that\'s your problem?

Hmm. I managed to make a model and collision mesh, and import them into the SDK part tester such that the collision mesh wouldn\'t show. However, the texture wouldn\'t load and I got a NullReferenceException, and I have NO idea why.

The mesh needs to be named node_collider, not the object, I believe. Perhaps that\'s your problem?

Hmm, maybe.

I really don\'t care about the design too much.. JUST NOT MATT SMITH!!!! He ruined Dr. Who. I say original original design :D

I love Matt Smith\'s Doctor, he\'s much more like The Doctor should be; alien and eccentric.

I mean sure, I loved David Tennant as much as the next guy, but he played the part far too human in my opinion.

I love Matt Smith\'s Doctor, he\'s much more like The Doctor should be; alien and eccentric.

I mean sure, I loved David Tennant as much as the next guy, but he played the part far too human in my opinion.

I get the sense that the majority of the people who dislike Matt Smith probably aren\'t too keen on Tennant either.