Lightweight Dragless Parts

A parts pack consisting of replacement cfg files for the vanilla parts.

The new cfg files have a reduced mass equivelant to mun gravity.

They have 0 drag to simulate lack of atmosphere.

Other than that they are bog standard.

I have not done the Advanced SAS or regular SAS as it is my understanding that the cfg files have been changed since 0.11x3 which is the version I have, bandwll idth constraints prevent me from updating I\'m afraid. If someone would be kind enough to email me the newer cfg files then I will add them to the download.

In regards to the mk1 pod I have included the old part.cfg as _part_old.cfg. copy the mk1 pod over the original and you still have a handy backup (I think all add-on makers should do this < I wouldn\'t call myself an add-on maker yet though).

Having a little play with creating a python file that should be able to make the required changes to a part.cfg automatically. That will be added here aswell in future for converting your add-on parts.

Parts Download (minus ASAS + SAS): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6524693/mun_parts.zip

You should change all the weights so that you get lowered gravity, like on the moon.

That is why it is called Lightweight, they are reduced according to a gravity of 1.something (I forgot already) although that may ultimately be incorrect. Either way 3 RCS modules + Single RCS tank + decoupler, pod and chute can hit orbit which is fun.

Probably not the most accurate representation but good bit of fun anyway.

If they aren\'t accurate then they make for a good little cheat parts pack but I don\'t like cheat parts.

That\'s only because you didn\'t change the thrust of the RCS modules. OF COURSE you can orbit with those when you have immense amounts of thrust compared to the mass of the vehicle.

Like I say, its meant to simulate a mun environment where the thrust won\'t change, only the weight (obviously not mass although in current KSP theres no other way and it has the same result) and drag.

WRONG. To recap,

ss20111024155653.png

Delta V remains the same when you are on the moon, except you have less gravity to overcome. You cannot simulate this with lighter parts.

To get close, you want the thrust to be slightly greater than before, compared to the mass. But this is imperfect. Very imperfect.

ss20111024155653.png

This^ statement is not entirely true. Looking at the Force due to gravity:

Fgrav=G*mo*Mk/R2

G: gravitational constant

m: mass of the ship (original or modified)

M: mass of the central body (Kerbin or the Mun)

R: distance from the barycenter

If we assume Mm=0.17*Mk and mm=0.17*morg then,

Fgrav=G*mo*Mm/R2

=G*mo*0.17*Mk/R2

=G*mm*Mk/R2

So Fgrav is correct, and the other forces are correct (as they don\'t depend on the mass), so as long as Fnet=0 we\'re golden. When it\'s not (almost always) the acceleration is ~10x what it should be, so the pack is still screwy (but a lot of fun).

Acceleration is rather important when you\'re landing with a certain velocity after falling 50km.

I agree whole heartedly.

But saying Gravity doesn\'t work that way is false, the force due to gravity, aka weight, aka what people think of when they think gravity, does. The acceleration due to Gravity (the important one for what we are doing) does NOT work that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.