Different ways of making lander legs...

Payload

I have been thinking about the ways lander legs are made. Most of them are just static surfaces that require a decoupler if you ever wish to jettison them at any point. It should be possible to make them function exactly like a radial decoupler without the external connection point. Like the explosive bolts in Captain Slugs accessory pack.

You would be able to place them on any surface and you could jettison them at any time.

I started thinking about this and I made a decoupler that has four points around the outside that stick out so you can place the current legs available on it. My intention is to make a radial decoupler with a stack attach point like a standard decoupler and four static attach points around the out side to jettison the legs.. Then I realized that I was once again doing it wrong and thought about the explosive bolts in the CS accessory pack.

A few questions..

Can the single decouple with the four static points around it actually be made to function as I envisioned? I guess I am asking if it is possible to have a vertical attach point at the top and four on the sides but eject what is attached to the sides instead of what is attached to the decoupler on the top or bottom? Even if the legs can be made a decoupler themselves, which I am sure of, this could be useful for other things.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.