(NOT COLD FUSION!) The byproducts of BASIC fusion...

JMBuilder

Okay, so... Clearly people hate me for merely asking questions about Cold Fusion (I plead the First), so I'm just asking a simple question about fusion in general.

Is there any way to fuse two atoms without getting gamma radiation in the process?

A given reaction will have the same products no matter how you trigger it. There are reactions that produce less radiation than simple deuterium fusion, but they are all much harder to trigger and thus even less plausible for cold fusion, or even hot fusion, than deuterium. Maybe in the future we'll have reactors running the proton+b11 reaction, but right now we can't even get net energy from simple H2+H2.

Particle-beam fusion usually involves proton beams (unless it's an attempt to synthesise superheavy elements), which will produce X-ray radiation upon hitting a target even if no reactions occur, due to the 'bremmstrahlung' effect.

In most fusion reactions it's neutron radiation that's the issue, not gamma. The one I gave at the end of the last thread is a rather odd one, one that would be effectively impossible to do in any environment outside of the core of star, which is indeed where it happens. In terms of practical fusion reactions, the ones people tend to talk about as 'aneutronic fusion power' candidates are 1H-11B fusion and 3He-3He fusion. 3He-3He can effectively be ignored immediately due to the extreme difficulty of getting 3He in any real quantities, so most research looks at 1H-11B. However, the research hasn't come up which much good news. To give the gist of it, 1H-11B needs 10X the temperature of the 2H-3H reaction everybody usually works with, and we simply can't keep plasma of that temperature confined enough for energy-gaining fusion using any near-term technology.

As I said earlier,

1H+1H-->2H+e++Ve+0.42 MeV

With the e+ promptly converting into a couple of gamma rays. However, almost every time the reaction will create a 'diproton' instead, which immediately decays back to the initial products, making it very hard to get net energy out of it. This effect is why the sun's core (in which almost all of the reactions are this one) has about the same energy output per unit mass as your average compost heap.

Edited by Kryten

Okay, so... Clearly people hate me for merely asking questions about Cold Fusion (I plead the First), so I'm just asking a simple question about fusion in general.

Is there any way to fuse two atoms without getting gamma radiation in the process?

Nah, you're always going to end up with at least some radiation.

nuclei move really really fast relative to each other right before fusing, the nuclei after fusing are stationary relative to each other. That kinetic energy has to go somewhere, so it ends up being emitted as a photon. Since fusion is a very violent and energetic event that photon will be gamma radiation.

Also, we're more than willing to answer questions about cold fusion or fusion in general. But you have to accept the answers as well. Simply saying "Did you see the process?" as a counterargument is a logical fallacy, and those are annoying.

Irradiation of reactor components is an issue. Neutron flux will transmutate parts of the reactor structure, making it radioactive in itself, and will also effect the lattice structure of any metals, causing potentially severe embrittlement.

I am listening. I'm just so determined to get it to work that I get flustered when people say it's impossible. For the most part, it seems like the mechanical stresses from the lattice expanding and contracting are why the atoms might fuse.

Yes, I'll be horribly disappointed if it doesn't work, but I've got to know. It seems feasible.

Now we've acknowledged this is in fact just the same thread for the fourth time, I want to discuss something you mentioned earlier. You said that this 'fusion device' of yours works both with light and heavy water, right?

For the most part, it seems like the mechanical stresses from the lattice expanding and contracting are why the atoms might fuse.

Yes, I'll be horribly disappointed if it doesn't work, but I've got to know. It seems feasible.

These are not even the same ball parks of energy levels.

Idk, should we be worried some guy is trying to build a fusion reactor?

Not at all. Worst case scenario, small hydrogen gas explosion and a subsequent fire. That's as much damage as he could possibly do. There are plenty of ways for him to hurt himself, but that's his problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.