Questions about SCIENCE!

I've been hammering at the tech tree for a while now, and I've hit a wall. I need more science to get the stuff to get more science, and I can't get to the Mun with my current designs. So, I've got questions.

- Is it worth bringing more than one science module/goo container for a given mission?

- Do they absolutely need to be returned to milk the maximum science out of them?

- How many biomes are there on Kerbin and the Mun?

- My thermometer won't work on a Mun encounter. Why?

- Transmission has a % attached to it. Does that mean it only transmits a percentage of the science?

- Does it mean I can just spam transmissions to get the same as returning it?

- Is there a flat bonus for returned missions?

- Can you take soil samples from Kerbin?

Edited by Skorpychan

Most of your answers are here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science

- Is it worth bringing more than one science module/goo container for a given mission?

That depends on the mission. If you're transmitting all your data repeatedly, then no, though it can speed up the transmission process to get them all ready to transmit at once. If you're doing a simple orbit and return you'll want goo readings for all levels of altitude (including the launch pad), so at least 4.

- Do they absolutely need to be returned to milk the maximum science out of them?

No. Returning yields the highest immediate return but repeated transmissions yield the same amount overall. Many people find the best balance is to transmit a few times AND return.

- How many biomes are there on Kerbin and the Mun?

12 on Kerbin, 15 on Mun. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Biome

- My thermometer won't work on a Mun encounter. Why?

The thermometer should work anywhere except outer space. Not sure on this one.

- Transmission has a % attached to it. Does that mean it only transmits a percentage of the science?

Bingo. You get that % of the Science Value.

- Does it mean I can just spam transmissions to get the same as returning it?

Yup, but there's a catch of diminishing returns. Each time you transmit/return an experiment/report, repeats of that experiment become worth less. So either transmit many times or return a few times, you get the same amount in the end. Think of it like digging a 1m x 1m x 1m hole in the ground - it's the same amount of dirt whether u do it with a trowel or a spade, but it takes more shovels.

- Is there a flat bonus for returned missions?

No, you just get 100% of the science value. Returning a spacecraft from journeys of unprecedented length/duration can yield bonuses tho. These also diminish.

- Can you take soil samples from Kerbin?

YES! And each biome has different soil, so collect the whole set!

Launch the command pod alone to get to the pad. Then do it again and walk off it to get KSC - not that far.

Also, the runway will get you a different crew report and I think goo sample as well than either of the former. Wait until you get your first aircraft cockpit and launch it alone.

Edited by Scrogdog

Most of your answers are here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science

The thermometer should work anywhere except outer space. Not sure on this one.

Yes, thermostats don't work in low orbit or higher according to my testing last night. There is a link on one of the pages that shows what equipment works were. I don't have it in front of me and I am on my phone.

Launch the command pod alone to get to the pad. Then do it again and walk off it to get KSC - not that far.

Also, the runway will get you a different crew report and I think goo sample as well than either of the former. Wait until you get your first aircraft cockpit and launch it alone.

I just launched a command pod for that. Upside down; I wanted to see what would happen. Turns out, Jeb fell on his head.

Suborbital rockets are boring. I think I'm going to make a rocket sled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.