Rusted Skins

Caesar15

Hey, give you a heads up I posted this two times but it crashed so If i seems angry, dont ask

So, parts are used, disposed, reused, land in water=rust

So here is all the stock parts rusted

I might rust C7 parts, and yes i have his permission

Anyway heres some pics

screenshot0kx.png

screenshot1lt.png

screenshot2hs.png

Positive feedback is welcome and tips

DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3T5KEM1G

CREDITS: Friend who helped

And of course darkknox the moderator helped http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5601.0

It would probably look better if it was less uniform-i.e. of some of the original texture was exposed, rather than all areas being consistently brown.

I would disagree with that comment on the tri-stack thingy mabob

The dirt/rust/corrosion/etc. would be uneven in both distribution and color. I\'d suggest doing a few image searches for rusted objects, and looking at where rust tends to focus.

As an aside, if these are supposed to be reused-and-poorly-refurbished parts, perhaps LFEs, SRBs, and pods should show some appropriate scorching (from exhaust in the first two cases, from reentry in the third).

The dirt/rust/corrosion/etc. would be uneven in both distribution and color. I\'d suggest doing a few image searches for rusted objects, and looking at where rust tends to focus.

As an aside, if these are supposed to be reused-and-poorly-refurbished parts, perhaps LFEs, SRBs, and pods should show some appropriate scorching (from exhaust in the first two cases, from reentry in the third).

So burnt marks?

Rust really isn\'t just one color in my opinion. It\'s a combination of multiple colors, each fading in and out in a mixture of rough and smooth transitions.

I used a bit of rust in this image I made a while back

LogoTextRNR-3.png

I use Paint.NET, a great free photo editing/creating program

Idk what program you use, but for PDN I used the cloud effect with a high roughness, then set the layer to overlay and played with the RGB values until it looked right. Honestly, I probably used a lot more than just 1 layer.

I also threw in some green because this was a metallic-like image. I don\'t think green would help you here, but my point is that sometimes to help 'bring out' an effect, like rust, you need to go outside of the immediate idea of rust. The green, although very subtle, helped give it a hue to give off an old look which pushes you to think 'Old, withering, rusty.'

Once you make a select box, you can\'t make it smaller or larger without redrawing the whole thing.

You totally can >_>

It\'s called the 'Move Selection' tool which is located right below the 'Move Selected' tool

You can use that tool to adjust/resize/rescale any selection you\'ve made.

Caesar what Photo image editor thingy do you use? I\'m curious

I think you proved me wrong on their can never be too much rust. Keep at it and try to layer rusted looking textures over the original ones and clean them up so it isn\'t a giant rust covered cylinder.

You totally can >_>

It\'s called the 'Move Selection' tool which is located right below the 'Move Selected' tool

That rescales the image in the selection box like in paint, that defeats the purpose.

Plus single-window mode is also in GIMP natively now :D

I\'ll stop the thread derail now.

You totally can >_>

GIMP and paint

That rescales the image in the selection box like in paint, that defeats the purpose.

Plus single-window mode is also in GIMP natively now :D

I\'ll stop the thread derail now.

But...you\'re still wrong...you just described the 'Move Selected' tool >_>

GIMP and paint

Oh rats. Then I have no words of advice. I can\'t use Gimp :P

I tried, I failed, I went back to Paint.NET

If you\'re using paint, I\'d at least suggest trying Paint.NET since it\'s setup pretty darn similar to the regular MS Paint program.

Even if you don\'t use it\'s full potential, you can at least get smooth lines n stuff out of it.

Paint.NET\'s true potential is held in the effects and stuff you download. Right out of the box is good, but definitely not AMAZING

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.