[1.1] Improved Chase Camera v1.6 (Apr 23)

BahamutoD

Played for a while and feeling good. However, could you map the key to something else so it doesn't interfere with trim?

Yea that's what I thought it would screw up. But the author has already said in the OP the key will eventually be mappable

I would second that. Having the toggle on the ALT key is really a show stopper.

Anyway, i wonder if you can make it so that the camera "looks into the turn"? You'd have to extrapolate the current attitude based on the turn rate and look at where the nose will be pointing soon, or something like that.

I'll have the config file in the next update. Any votes on the default toggle key? I was thinking Tab since you only use that in map view, unless I'm forgetting something.

Edited by BahamutoD

I'll have the config file in the next update. Any votes on the default toggle key? I was thinking Tab since you only use that in map view, unless I'm forgetting something.

Good.

It could be a good idea to create a "map" of used keys by all up-to-date mods to avoid many/all of them use the same (example: Kerbtown and KAS use crtl-k), z is already use by vertical velocity as default key (bad choice by the way, due to common keyboard mappings).

Any chance to have also the snap "togglable" ?

(weird, was it already there in the initial release ? Camera doesn't allow any movement due to this user-killer snapping, it always go back to the default position, does it sounds to you not a big deal ? Try making a screenshot of your craft from different angles :P)

I don't understand why we need a key. It's hard to imagine someone switching from free to freechase all the time -- you can just press V to cycle back to "auto". I think the best way is to use the Toolbar API and add a clickable button. Not only that it saves the keybinding fuss but also it will remember your choice

I don't understand why we need a key. It's hard to imagine someone switching from free to freechase all the time -- you can just press V to cycle back to "auto". I think the best way is to use the Toolbar API and add a clickable button. Not only that it saves the keybinding fuss but also it will remember your choice

true, I guess I willl never click the key/button anyway..

So I raise the question:

why would anyone wanna go back to screwed chase?

I just can't see a good reason to sustain the old mode at all..

make it as a default - on install, you can assume the users intent to use the new chase mode - no key required..

Update:

v1.3

- Changed default toggle key to Tab

- Toggle key now configurable

- Default view angle now configurable

- Free chase view doesn't snap back to default view when moved(toggle off-on to reset)

- Disabled during EVA (it's glitchy)

- Field of view is configurable

- Fixed: Free chase camera was jerky during high-G turns

- Fixed screen messages

- Set as enabled by default (configurable)

I set the default to Tab because there's still reason to toggle it off, imo. Maybe not in chase mode, but sometimes I want regular free mode at time when Auto sets it to orbital mode. Also, in the new version, toggling it off and on will bring it back to the default position.

Everyone had different ideas on what to do about the default key, but that's what the config file is for.

I might look into the toolbar API eventually.

true, I guess I willl never click the key/button anyway..

So I raise the question:

why would anyone wanna go back to screwed chase?

I just can't see a good reason to sustain the old mode at all..

make it as a default - on install, you can assume the users intent to use the new chase mode - no key required..

:cool: I like the sarcastic tone, you're right (except for scroll lock key which might not easy to reach on some laptops/computer).

Assuming things when programming is very bad !

Update:

v1.3

- Changed default toggle key to Tab

- Toggle key now configurable

- Default view angle now configurable

- Free chase view doesn't snap back to default view when moved(toggle off-on to reset)

- Disabled during EVA (it's glitchy)

- Field of view is configurable

- Fixed: Free chase camera was jerky during high-G turns

- Fixed screen messages

- Set as enabled by default (configurable)

GGRREEEEAAAATTT, thank you very much ! And thank for all your work on the updates.

ADDON: the camera have hard time using stock Aeris 4A at full throttle with all 3 engines ON, SAS ON, on runway (without KJR) in 0.23, try this and see, the craft disassemble itself and wobble all around liek crazy and camera is completely mad.

(how it was possible to play KSP < 0.23.5 without KJR anyway ? :huh:)

Edited by Justin Kerbice
add some data

Maybe this isn't in the scope of the mod, but is it possible to give us the option to disable the auto mode? I really hate when the camera switches to orbital and then free when on an escape trajectory. I just want to use free all the time, it's especially infuriating when I'm trying to click something and the camera takes 3-4 seconds of rotating in all possible directions before finally settling down at which point I have to drag back to where I was.

ADDON: the camera have hard time using stock Aeris 4A at full throttle with all 3 engines ON, SAS ON, on runway (without KJR) in 0.23, try this and see, the craft disassemble itself and wobble all around liek crazy and camera is completely mad.

I didn't have this problem (what does the camera have to do with the craft disassembling itself anyway?), but messing around trying to get it brought up different problem I need to fix, thanks.

Maybe this isn't in the scope of the mod, but is it possible to give us the option to disable the auto mode? I really hate when the camera switches to orbital and then free when on an escape trajectory. I just want to use free all the time, it's especially infuriating when I'm trying to click something and the camera takes 3-4 seconds of rotating in all possible directions before finally settling down at which point I have to drag back to where I was.

I might be able to have a "disable auto" option in the config.

I didn't have this problem (what does the camera have to do with the craft disassembling itself anyway?), but messing around trying to get it brought up different problem I need to fix, thanks.

What ? Don't know, but it may be linked to the SAS which, by it's action, move the craft or parts of it, so the camera.

If you could make a video, it would be helpful.

I've been thinking about it, you really don't want the free chase cam on unless you're flying a plane in atmosphere so I'll probably set off by default.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.