[PLUGIN, 0.14.4] RinComp .5

Zool

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone make a youtube video tutorial for how to use RinComp? I\'ve played with it but it doesn\'t seem to really do anything. Or maybe I\'m just impatient and/or don\'t understand what I\'m doing so seeing someone walking us through how to use it would be great.

I had an idea of combining features of mechjeb ascent, rincomp, and a table i found for acheiving Rendezvous into a rendevous autopilot that would work between 2 spacecraft that already have the same inclination.

i put a request thread in. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10858.0

i am not a programmer, just a lazy game player.

So how exactly does one go about using this. I get from the thread that I am to align the planes, synch the orbits, then rendezvous.

What I don\'t get, is how to get output on the Synch orbits menu. I\'ve aligned the planes so that they show 0.00 degrees relative inclination, but I haven\'t found a way to get output from the panel to synch the orbit. I\'ve done a number of rendezvouses (rendesvoui?) manually, but I really don\'t get how do do it with RinComp. Perhaps a guide or video in the OP might help.

Set-up:

To use sync orbits you need to have the two orbits intersect at the apoapsis or periapsis of your crafts, or your target crafts orbit. Change the sync mode to match the orbit intersection.

Use:

The columns represent the number of seconds until each craft will pass through that point of the orbit. Adjust your orbit by burning prograde or retrograde when you are the intersection until you get two times times that are close together. If you do everything right you can wind up just a few hundred meters from your target.

I haven\'t really had time to work on this lately, but I wanted to release a version based on the code re-write by kompressor, as it contains a few bug fixes, as well as some neato new features.

RinComp .5 Released

https://github.com/Veterok/RendezMe/zipball/master

Changes:

*Auto Align Planes

*Auto Sync Orbits

*Auto Kill Relative Velocity

*Auto Home 5m above target vessel

*Code cleanup

The new features are turned off by default, change the automation = false line in part.cfg to automation = true to use them

* Coded by kompressor

Two things, the folders in the zip are named incorrectly

PART should be PARTS

and

PLUGIN should be PLUGINS

anyone downloading and not noticing this will have problems.

Secondly, this should be in the showcase forum and not in the Addon Devs. :) Thx.

I don\'t know if R4m0n will be interested in making it an official part of the release, but I put RinComp into MechJeb 1.8 if anyone wants to try it out.

https://github.com/Veterok/MuMech/zipball/master

You should use the auto warping code from MechJebModuleOrbitOper.cs to automatically warp.

Or I\'ll go diving into your code and submit a patch at some point.

I haven\'t really had time to work on this lately, but I wanted to release a version based on the code re-write by kompressor, as it contains a few bug fixes, as well as some neato new features.

Thanks for putting this together, Zool! :)

I must be really stupid because I can\'t figure out how to use this thing at all. I aligned planes properly, but now I\'m sitting here going: 'Huh?' The thing tells me that the closest approach is Orbit 3... even though I can clearly see that 0, 1, and 2 are closer. The readme is also worded somewhat poorly and it seems to assume the user already is adept at these maneuvers. I don\'t understand it whatsoever.

It\'s not very intuitive but it is, not surprising, highly mathematical. If your PE is the same as your targets PE then RINCOMP calculates how long it takes for you to do an orbit and how long it takes for the target to do an orbit. If you extrapolate that out over 4 or 5 orbits, RINCOMP will display how many orbits need to pass before the two craft reach the PE at the same time. Obviously you\'ll have to go \'faster\' or \'slower\' than your target and when you do, RINCOMP does the maths for you. You can then raise/lower your AP by small amounts so that your orbits are increased/decreased just the right amount so that you both hit the PE at the same time.

When you do hit the PE at the same time, do a crazy burn so that your AP matches your targets AP. What this means is that your PE is the same as the targets, your AP is the same as the targets so you\'re traveling exactly the same orbit side by side. All that is left is the small RCS maneuvering burns to complete the dock. :)

It\'s not very intuitive but it is, not surprising, highly mathematical. If your PE is the same as your targets PE then RINCOMP calculates how long it takes for you to do an orbit and how long it takes for the target to do an orbit. If you extrapolate that out over 4 or 5 orbits, RINCOMP will display how many orbits need to pass before the two craft reach the PE at the same time. Obviously you\'ll have to go \'faster\' or \'slower\' than your target and when you do, RINCOMP does the maths for you. You can then raise/lower your AP by small amounts so that your orbits are increased/decreased just the right amount so that you both hit the PE at the same time.

When you do hit the PE at the same time, do a crazy burn so that your AP matches your targets AP. What this means is that your PE is the same as the targets, your AP is the same as the targets so you\'re traveling exactly the same orbit side by side. All that is left is the small RCS maneuvering burns to complete the dock. :)

I guess that helps... it would be a lot nicer if RinComp would display the apoapsis / periapsis parameters for the target body. It clearly knows them, not showing me that information is just annoying. Additionally MechJeb rounding off the last kilometers isn\'t helpful at all. I finally got a rendezvous but it wasn\'t nearly as elegant as I thought it should be... though the fact that the RinComp had our orbital numbers EXACTLY aligned yet it still threw me 30km off is probably responsible for that.

A more concise readme / built-in instructions ala MechJeb would be nice.

I guess that helps... it would be a lot nicer if RinComp would display the apoapsis / periapsis parameters for the target body. It clearly knows them, not showing me that information is just annoying. Additionally MechJeb rounding off the last kilometers isn\'t helpful at all. I finally got a rendezvous but it wasn\'t nearly as elegant as I thought it should be... though the fact that the RinComp had our orbital numbers EXACTLY aligned yet it still threw me 30km off is probably responsible for that.

A more concise readme / built-in instructions ala MechJeb would be nice.

Not sure if you checked it, but you do need to be sure you\'re using the correct type of rendezvous, ship Pe or ship Ap versus target Ap/Pe, etc. It makes a lot of difference in getting the DToR to a correct value. If you raise your AP to let the ship your going to rendezvous with catch up, you\'d select ship periapsis for your meeting, and apoapsis if you lowered your Pe to catch up.

The problem is that it\'s impossible to change your orbit so that your periapsis is at the apoapsis of the target\'s orbit, for example, because you have no idea what the target\'s orbit is. Ideally, it\'d be nice to see the Ap and Pe markers on the target\'s orbit, but even having a readout that describes the target\'s orbit would make things immensely easier. Also, there seems to be something wrong with the inclination display, because it\'ll tell me I\'m aligned to <1 degree, but the orbit display shows that I\'m at an angle to the target orbit.

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the inclination display, because it\'ll tell me I\'m aligned to <1 degree, but the orbit display shows that I\'m at an angle to the target orbit.

I was having that same problem, until I realized that I was orbiting in the exact opposite direction of the debris (northward instead of south) which was giving me funny readings. When I set it to auto-align the planes it began a massive burn to turn me completely around.

Launching Mechjeb with the correct angle helped.

Anyway, yes - I sincerely hope the next version of RinComp gives us the orbital parameters of the target. I\'m trying to rendezvous with an asteroid and since I can\'t control it, I can\'t get MechJeb numbers, nor does it show this information in the Space Tracker (a failing of that). Since it\'s a highly eccentric orbit I\'m not sure what it expects me to do about this.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.