[Bug] Assembly as root part = bizarre anomalies on launch

Under Win 7 x64, using KSP x64, there's a bug that's very easy to replicate. If you build a sub-assembly with a command pod/probe in it and then build a new craft that uses that sub-assembly as the first/root piece, you will get all kinds of weirdness when trying to launch. If you see the ship at all it will be high in space and covered in re-entry effect, even though it's not moving, there may be no planet, the map will centre on the sun and you won't be able to use any keys except the F keys and escape. If you saved the ship, reloading it will look like it has worked until you realise none of the parts are actually connected. Sometimes trying to launch such a ship will result in having no option but to hard-quit KSP by ending the game from windows task manager.

I discovered this by making a satellite, saving it as a sub assembly and then using it as the first part of a launch vehicle so it would be at the top. Even though I added a new probe body underneath the sat the game still thought there was no command pod/probe. I had an extensive list of mods at the time, but I've tried this with stock parts and it happens every time, so I'm guessing a clean install would also exhibit the bug.

Obviously it's easy enough not to build ships like this, so it's not a priority to fix, just thought I'd let people know.

How are you getting a subassembly as the first piece? In stock KSP, the subassembly tab is hidden until a root is placed down first so without mods, this doesn't seem to be reproducible...

Yeah. This has got to be some kind of mod. What mods are you using?

Hey KerBlammo,

You'll have to supply a bit more information for us to track this down. Indeed, the stock game isn't supposed to let you place a subassembly first. So if it's doing that, then we'll need to know how you did that. If you're using mods, then you might want to list those and someone might be able to narrow it down.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24543-NEED-SUPPORT-Read-this-before-posting-No-modded-installs

Cheers,

~Claw

Ah, sorry folks, I didn't realise that was something any of my mods was doing, because it's not something any of my mods purport to do (and I never play with KSP completely stock, so not really used to stock behaviour for comparison). For a second there I was excited that I'd discovered something vaguely useful, lol. I'm running over 50 mods with this install, it'd be pretty annoying trying to narrow down which one is the culprit. I would assume something like Editor Tools or something.

You'd be surprised at what kind of faults an unrelated mod can cause.

If you don't feel like narrowing it down, then it sounds like you'll just have to avoid doing that. :P

Cheers,

~Claw

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a "you use mods, tough luck" kind of comment. More of a "if you don't tell us what you're using, and don't narrow it down on your own, then it's hard to help."

But sharing is still appreciated, in case someone else runs across the same problem. :)

Cheers,

~Claw