Anime: Wings of Honneamise

Andras

The KSP game reminded me of the anime Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise, which is the story of a nation's first steps into space. It's sort of a combination of The Right Stuff and Jules Verne.

It's quite well done and the launch sequence at the end of the movie is pretty intense beacuse a rival nation invades to destroy the launch site.

Launch and orbit in Japanese

Fighting and Launch in English

That was pretty awesome. Isn't there another anime about a rocket launch into space? I remember watching it on teletoon when I was small, but what I can remember of it was that it was centred on the astronaut, it had something to do with him finding some religion or something mid way through for some reason.

The thing I really loved about WoH is that is really showed the sheer gall of the early space programs on Earth, and it's reflected in their world. This was a time when placing a long-distance telephone call was an iffy proposition, with as many hits as misses, when computer was still used as an adjective much mroe often than a noun....and yet they thought they could just send someone up into the single most hostile environment that can be imagined. Only they weren't actually sure how hostile it might be, cause they barely could get robots and probes up there to check!

In a day of focus groups and risk-assessment on EVERYTHING, it's hard to really imagine a place like that existed, here, not very long ago.

The other thing about WoH that I remember is that I was left feeling a bit uneasy at the ending....it occured to me as he gave his broadcast that throughout the whole show they had focused so much on the job of getting him UP that there hadn't ever really been a discussion of bringing him DOWN...

Excellent movie. Own it.

I like the attention to detail in this alternate world: the uniforms, the currency, the religion, the politics. Every time I watch it, there's something new to find there - and the utterly awesome launch scene in the middle of a battlefield.