Run Unit Tests

I remember seeing it being there before (several versions ago), its present in my mod install but not my stock install, so I guess it must be a mod. As a developer I was drawn to it like a moth to a light, but was sad when it didn't appear to do anything :(

Have you install kos?

I don't think it is kOS, as it's there in my main mod install which doesn't have kOS.

000_Toolbar

000_USITools

ART

ActiveTextureManagement

AviationLights

B9_Aerospace

BDArmory

BahaSP

BoulderCo

CommunityResourcePack

Contracts Window

CrossFeedEnabler

DMagic Orbital Science

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

Firespitter

HullCameraVDS

JSI

KAS

Kerbaltek

KineTechAnimation

Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal

MagicSmokeIndustries

MechJeb2

ModuleManager.2.5.9.dll

ModuleManager.ConfigCache

ModuleManager.ConfigSHA

ModuleRCSFX

NASAmission

ProceduralFairings

QuickScroll

RealChute

Regolith

ResGen

SCANsat

Squad

ToadicusTools

TriggerTech

TweakScale

TweakableEverything

UmbraSpaceIndustries

UniversalStorage

VerneTech

Virgin Kalactic

(I know, not that helpful, but I can also say that it's not present with Environmental Enhancements, MechJeb2 or procedural fairings. again, I know, not that helpful, but...anyway)

I remember seeing it being there before (several versions ago), its present in my mod install but not my stock install, so I guess it must be a mod. As a developer I was drawn to it like a moth to a light, but was sad when it didn't appear to do anything :(

Yeah, I just checked my pure-stock-testing install, and it doesn't have it.

Have you install kos?

Yes, I do - does kOS do that?

I saw some really old threads from the 0.19 era that suggested that it's a KSP component, but I guess that a mod could be enabling it (intentionally or accidentally)..

Yes, I do - does kOS do that?

I'm pretty sure no.

The phrase "unit test" never appears in the kOS source code. (Although it has some unit tests, it never mentions them in a string anywhere like that so it can't be what's printing them to the screen.)

- - - Updated - - -

This.

I had wondered about this once before as well but then just ignored it. Tested fresh install with just B9 and it's there.

I have the message.

I do NOT have B9 installed.

Weirdly I also just did this from gitbash:

$ find C\:/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/ -name '*.dll' -exec grep -i 'unit test' '{}' ';'

And got zero hits.

(Translation - none of the DLL files I have anywhere under KSP's folder contain the phrase "unit test" in any case-insensitive combo (i.e. not "Unit Test", nor "UNIT TEST", etc).

I have no clue where it comes from. I did the same check on all the EXE's (KSP.exe) and also found no hits there either.

It's something that exists in stock KSP (or Unity?) and is triggered by certain mods, or certain libraries (possibly) being built with various Debug options. I've seen this as well, and have never used kOS or B9. Seem to recall certain versions of Blizzy's toolbar triggered this. I've also bumped into it back in the day when I was building plugins for OS-X... Never reliably. Always made me wonder how dependable Mono/Xamarin's output was.

I never got it to spit out any info though. I guess that means all the unit tests passed (no news is good news)?

I'd love to know if there's a way to actually use this for mod testing.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps it's a Unity setting that other games leave enabled, and then it shows up in KSP?

I have multiple installs goin' at once at any given time (I actually had to move the older ones off the SSD to magnetic disk, they actually choked a half-TB unit down to nearly zero).... only my current Horrible Nerf testing install shows that.

(using storebought KSP. I also have the Steam one, but I only play that just after releases, as Steam's file servers are a.. bit faster than whatever Squad is using ;) )

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps it's a Unity setting that other games leave enabled, and then it shows up in KSP?

That may explain it. I have a few games that run Unity that also display the "Run Unit Tests" button. Although, it does not make sense that it would show up in KSP even though it was enabled on a completely different piece of software. Does Unity have cross-software settings that affect all of the games that run Unity? And if so, how can those settings be changed from game to game without input from the player?

Sounds quite far fetched.

At least KineTech Animations (comes with B9 pack) and KOS use KSP.Testing.UnitTest and both do enable the unit tests when installed on fresh KSP. Wouldn't be surprised if there were more mods that do this as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.