What do you do, if you're too fast?

Krugz

He\'s using SRBs. Mind you, if you can get a rocket to go to 2.2km/s with just SRBs, design a reasonably size stage to go above the SRB stages, and you\'ve got yourself a very useful interplanetary craft/ Mun craft.

I am curious to know how you managed to get to 2.2km/s at 30k altitude... mind posting your craft file?

It isn\'t that difficult, I\'ve done it on a couple of occasions.

@OP:

Make sure your engines are well separated, I can assure you that it isn\'t atmo heat as I\'ve been as low as 10km going 3km/s during re-entry (that was NOT fun, btw.)

Just so everyone is clear, I have been able to launch OP\'s build without it exploding at all. It launched fine, exited the atmosphere well over 2.2km/s, and came back down about four hours later. I suspect it may not actually be overheating, because on three consecutive launches it did not explode at all.

AH! I know what may be happening. You may be having a part break. If it happens again where your ship randomly explodes, review the actual log of what happened. See if there was a support that failed during launch.

Just so everyone is clear, I have been able to launch OP\'s build without it exploding at all. It launched fine, exited the atmosphere well over 2.2km/s, and came back down about four hours later. I suspect it may not actually be overheating, because on three consecutive launches it did not explode at all.

The craft file isn\'t the original ship that was consistently exploding, sadly. It\'s the same parts in the same configuration, but the voodoo that had it exploding is now gone, if that makes any sense. Basically I had it exploding, added some stuff, removed them in order to get the exploding version again, and saved the craft file you\'re now using. It hasn\'t been exploding since then, I think I had it happen a couple times but it\'s way more rare.

AH! I know what may be happening. You may be having a part break. If it happens again where your ship randomly explodes, review the actual log of what happened. See if there was a support that failed during launch.

Yes that\'s probably it, but the way it was happening was very odd. The parts that broke were no where near the command pod at the time, but maybe I\'m underestimating the range of the heat when things explode, or maybe it was a chain reaction. Either way, since I can\'t reproduce the craft, I guess you can call this problem solved/non-existent.

It isn\'t that difficult, I\'ve done it on a couple of occasions.

@OP:

Make sure your engines are well separated, I can assure you that it isn\'t atmo heat as I\'ve been as low as 10km going 3km/s during re-entry (that was NOT fun, btw.)

3km/s re-entry not fun? Sounds like your fun... 8) sped away. Yowwwwwwww

Hmm. That\'s a bit odd. Ah well. Exiting and entering the atmosphere at around 2.2km/s was an educational experience... I think I could easily use your design for a launcher stage... on the bottom of a fully-fledged rocket xD

Hmm. That\'s a bit odd. Ah well. Exiting and entering the atmosphere at around 2.2km/s was an educational experience... I think I could easily use your design for a launcher stage... on the bottom of a fully-fledged rocket xD

Check out the Honeycomb II in the spacecraft exchange forum. It\'s pretty intense, and I\'m working on another design to get an SRB-only ship to the mun. The mun SRB ship already has ~3km/s at around 57km launching and is significantly less lag-inducing than the Honeycomb II.

I can understand getting it to the Mun, but actually getting back? You\'re going to need precise activation time for each and every stage to get that right.

Good luck, and don\'t forget to make a video out of it if you succeed!

I can understand getting it to the Mun, but actually getting back? You\'re going to need precise activation time for each and every stage to get that right.

Good luck, and don\'t forget to make a video out of it if you succeed!

Getting back is truly an insane idea.

And I\'ll get around to it right after the leprechauns in my head are sated with the blood of kermen sacrificed to the lyncanthropic gods of the mun.

Translation: For now, the crash landing on the mun will be enough, but I\'ll see if anything more is possible afterwards. So far, creating a stable orbit around the planet has been difficult due to the amount of expansion the orbit gets when using an SRB outside of the atmosphere... But I\'ve got ideas for how to overcome all the individual steps.