The Excursion to Mt. Keverest [1.0.5+]

I'm planning to divide the challenge into 3 difficulties: Easy, Medium and Hard.What do you think?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. I'm planning to divide the challenge into 3 difficulties: Easy, Medium and Hard.What do you think?

• No! Keep it as it is!
    • I'll think about it, or maybe pm you.
    • I'm cool with anything.

Now, some people i see on the forums submit some challenges with objectives to go outside Kerbin's SOI or somewhere else.But, how about we stay right here and appreciate the values of the "Green Marble", if you know what i mean ;).

So, let's start our beautiful tour, with a challenge! :D

TRIP TO MOUNT KEVEREST

Ok, now the challenge is pretty simple, get to the highest point on Kerbin.Now, most of you are probably saying "Pfft, this is too easy.Why is this even a challenge?"

Well, i'm not finished.You have to get there in style.

NOTE: This challenge is intended for fun rather than fame.A big thanks to sal_vager and his Itty Bitty Aeroplanes! challenge for inspiring me!

So, people who enter will be divided into 3 categories based on the requirements: Easy, Medium and Hard.

RULES:

1. No cheats (HyperEdit, Debug Menu)

2. Keep it mostly stock, but some mods are allowed(listed below).

3. You can only accomplish this challenge by an aerial or terrestrial vehicle.

4. You must build your craft only in the Spaceplane Hangar.

5. No VAB rocket engines.However, since this challenge is accomplishable by any kind of aerial or terrestrial vehicle, R.A.P.I.E.R-s are acceptable.

6. Your entry must contain at least 2 images or a video or an imgur album.

PERMITTED MODS:

- KER

- Trajectories

- FMRS

- Kerbal Alarm Clock

- HotRockets! or CoolRockets!

- Chatterer

Where is the highest point on Kerbin?

It is located northeast of the KSC near the north pole.You will find a range of mountains, and there you will find the peak.It's height depends on the terrain setting you're using (usually ranges from 6761m to 6767m).

Here's a picture of where it's located:

2yuft3s.png

An expanded view, just for orientation.You may use this map in case you get lost ;):

2rmxe28.png

And last thing, how do i know in which category i will end?

EASY:

- Must contain at least 1 kerbal

- Go to Keverest

- Plant a flag (and optionally collect a surface sample or do an EVA report if you're in Career).

- Go home safely.

MEDIUM:

- Must contain at least 5 kerbals

- Go to Keverest

- Get all 5 kerbals to the peak, plant a flag and return home safely.

HARD:

- Must contain at least 10 kerbals

- Get into an orbit (at least 70 km)

- Land near Keverest

- Get all 10 kerbals to the peak, plant a flag, and return home safely...

To add to the challenge experience, I added a point system! Here is how  you score them:

+50 - Starting points!

+1 - For every Kerbal on your craft

-1 - For every Kerbal less on your craft

+5 - For every 10km above the 70km minimum in orbit.

+5 - Flag planted on peak

-5 - No flag planted on peak

-10 - Absolutely no Kerbals on your craft (drones, probes...)

+20 - If you got into orbit on Easy or Medium

-20 - If you didn't get into orbit on Hard

Amount of points * 2 - If you get your craft home in perfect shape (no parts destroyed)

Half of your points terminated - The craft was partially destroyed, but all or some Kerbals survived.

3/4 of your points terminated - The craft was completely destroyed, but all or some Kerbals survived.

All of your points terminated - Total mission failure (nobody survided, the entire thing was destroyed)

Enjoy! ;):):D

OLD BOARDS:

Spoiler

I Like it Easy... Board:

- kelvindeschutter

- Admiral-Helwyr (Largest Craft)

- r_rolo1

- Batz_10K

- Torquimedes

I Like it in Style! Board:

- Bob_Saget54

- Kuzzter

- Jean Deaux

- ShadowZone

- Foxster

- hoioh

- MunGazer

- Squiggsy (Smallest Craft) - sort of cheated, but didn't change how the game works whatsoever

BOARDS:

Easy:

-

-

-

-

-

Medium:

-

-

-

-

-

Hard:

-

-

-

-

-

The official badge (created by Jean Deaux):

102wc9f.png

You can add this badge to your signatures.But if you dont know how to, here's how:

1. Go to Account Settings

2. Click Signature

3. Save this pic above to your PC.

4. Upload it to tinypic.com

5. Copy the code under "IMG Code for Forums and Message Boards" and paste it into the signature editor.Add a link to the badge that leads to this page if you want.

6. Have fun!

Edited by Candlelight
refurbishment

I already mused about doing this by rovering to it from KSC while in my ( on hold ) attempt to rover to the South Pole ( the shortest route makes you pass right on the mountain feet ). Might try it , but it will take some days ( RL ones ) just to get there :P

Interesting challenge. Quite a bit of trudging as each peak looked higher than the next, so I actually did a lot of back and forth trudging trying to find your exact waypoint. I suspect the mod you were using was yielding a slightly different number than the stock positioning system. I gave up walking peak to peak (would have driven, but the steeps were too... well, steep and my vehicle lacked the horsepower to traverse those slopes.

Flew the plane, landed on the mountain, dropped off a manned vehicle, drove it a short bit, trudged a LOT, got the soil sample, planted the flag, trudged some more, flew home, had a drink and called it a day.

Looking forward to that badge.

Interesting challenge. Quite a bit of trudging as each peak looked higher than the next, so I actually did a lot of back and forth trudging trying to find your exact waypoint. I suspect the mod you were using was yielding a slightly different number than the stock positioning system. I gave up walking peak to peak (would have driven, but the steeps were too... well, steep and my vehicle lacked the horsepower to traverse those slopes.

Flew the plane, landed on the mountain, dropped off a manned vehicle, drove it a short bit, trudged a LOT, got the soil sample, planted the flag, trudged some more, flew home, had a drink and called it a day.

Looking forward to that badge.

Wow! This might be the best entry! Congratulations!

And also, i will see if i can get Ziv for the badge.

And btw, i wasn't using a mod for positioning :).

I was using this great site called KerbalMaps: kerbalmaps.com

Edited by Candlelight

Would a VTOL-assisted rover fall under category 1 or 2?

What I mean is this: I build a vehicle which has wheels as its main propulsion but is able to do small "hops" with a vertically mounted jet engine.

Glad you asked!

This will definetly fall under category 2(i like it in style).

By the way, you must show me your work as a video or as an album from imgur.

Edited by Candlelight

Wow! This might be the best entry! Congratulations!

And also, i will see if i can get Ziv for the badge.

And btw, i wasn't using a mod for positioning :).

I was using this great site called KerbalMaps: kerbalmaps.com

I'm sure there'll be other entries that will also be quite impressive as there is no shortage of talented players, but thanks I'm glad you enjoyed.

I'm sure there'll be other entries that will also be quite impressive as there is no shortage of talented players, but thanks I'm glad you enjoyed.

As i said, you entry is the best so far.

Thanks for participating in the challenge! Soon, everyone will have badges(after Ziv pm's me of course).

Edited by Candlelight

Aren't these contradictory?

4. No rockets and VAB.But, R.A.P.I.E.R's, SSTO's and VTOL's are acceptable

Well, read it again.It can be only done by plane or manned terrestrial vehicle.SSTO's run on RAPIER's.And if you read the rule again, it says that RAPIERS are acceptable(allowed).

Well, read it again.It can be only done by plane or manned terrestrial vehicle.SSTO's run on RAPIER's.And if you read the rule again, it says that RAPIERS are acceptable(allowed).
By a long way not all SSTOs use RAPIERS but that's OK, if RAPIERS can be used then this is much easier as they are rocket engines and don't have the lag of jets.

So opted to make a badge for you, feel free to use it or I'll just use this one till you get yours up. (See sig below)

Thanks a lot! Ziv said he didn't have enough time.But still, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

this is mine entry

http://imgur.com/a/6LH1f

here is the craft file its called Falcon MK 3 :https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpm0ed8dtn1jjr8/falcon%20MK%203.craft?dl=0

Well, done! You can add the badge to your signatures

Edited by Candlelight

Day 3 , Hour 0 of the kerbal Rover expedition to Mt. Keverest:

A small stop was made in the icy surface of the North to allow Bob to get some ( very fresh ) air. He was getting a very unhealthy shade of green on his face ;) :

Mc5F6Id.png

mlXzRp9.png

Driving to the Western Continent will resume shortly ... as soon as we force Jeb to drop the ice skating stunt he's doing and to get on the driver's seat

Off character, this was the save that I had closer of "Mt. Keverest" from my South Pole expedition. I expect that we will be in the foot of it in 4-6 h of driving in 1x ( less in 2x phys warp ). With some luck I'll be in the peak before the end of this weekend ;)

Can someone offer a more detailed explanation as to where exactly the highest peak is? I've located one that's 6764 meters, and I really don't see any that are higher than that within walking range.

deWN1cKl.png

I sadly can't explore beyond walking range for... reasons... but in my next attempt, I'd like to aim towards the correct point.

Off character, this was the save that I had closer of "Mt. Keverest" from my South Pole expedition. I expect that we will be in the foot of it in 4-6 h of driving in 1x ( less in 2x phys warp ). With some luck I'll be in the peak before the end of this weekend ;)

Ooh, i like it! :)

ShadowZone said:
Here's my entry: a five hour (Kerbal time) surface only mission across half of the planet to reach the peak of Mt. Keverest. Skip to around 11:30 for a little surprise ;)

Wow! this is really cool! Thanks for participating! You can add the badge to your signature.

Edited by Candlelight

Nice one ShadowZone. 5 h in Kerbal time? That was fast :D . I took 18 h in kerbal time and was in a rush to get there while I still had light ( protip, don't drive in non-flat white terrain at night :P ). Might make a album later, but for now ...

YRDbAYK.png

Well, if there is any consolation in being nº2 on the rovers, atleast I've got 9 kerbals there :D

Alright, here is my attempt at this challenge:

The plane was a ***** to land on the mountain, and I don't even know how I did it.

Anyways, total time was 5 hours and 40 minutes in Kerbal time for the entire trip.

Jeb and Bob are quite happy with the results

Here's my "I Like it in Style!" entry. Took about 30-45 mins.

About to set off

4T4UlTO.jpg

70° orbit

hGgODx5.jpg

Craft fell over on landing but I got the rover off. So I was a bit too busy to get a shot of the landing but here's a shot from a previous attempt with a rover that wasn't man enough for the steep slopes

zhF4Vnz.jpg

Driving from landing to top of mountain

dGIQVau.jpg

At the top

IUSVQs8.jpg

Edited by Foxster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.