The Bestest Pilot Challenge

This challenge is very very simple: Get the Kraken's Bane into an orbit around Kerbin.

Sounds easy right? Well no, the computer will fight you on this one. This 300 part laviathan flies well at low altitudes but becomes less and less stable. Its front engines are necessary to hold the nose up and when used with FAR it rather worryingly tells me it is in a constant state of 'minor stalling'. You should ignore this warning - it flies well enough, like a grease covered brick.

Here is the craft file tucked inside a .zip folder: http://www.gamefront.com/files/24929102/Kraken%27s+Bane.zip

Here is how my best attempts have so far gone:

8MOFKdT.png

LMxych5.png2IlvNsi.png

As you can see, there will be problems. Instability. A smidge of 'oh hell its all blowing up'. Theoretically this has the delta-v and the lift to make it into orbit. Only the bestest best pilots can do it - and I am not one of them. I hand the reigns of this slippery SSTO over to you lot.

Current Winners:

Stock:

-

-

-

-

-

FAR:

- BenjiGH

-

-

-

-

You Tried

- BrainiacBlue

-

-

-

-

Edited by BrainiacBlue

• 4 months later...

I re-balanced it a bit by removing a bit of fuel here and there, as well as adding action group to toggle on and of the front engines as I need them

Using a classic ssto flight trajectory didn't worked so I flew it like a rocket passed 5000 m

Even with a joystick it's really hard to fly, at high speed the slightest movement make it disintegrate instantly, this is why it was really fun to do

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.