Settings keep resetting

Well, there goes that idea. I thought that maybe the problem is caused by ppjoy giving the virtual controller a name consisting of a bunch of weird characters so maybe KSP somehow has trouble saving the settings file properly. But if it also happens without ppjoy, then I guess that's not it.

It happened to me today.

After finding this topic, I tried the procedure that Andy81le described but it did not work either.

After reading your comments about joysticks i noticed that the one i use was not connected and that might be causing the problem.

After connecting my joystick, the configuration keep it normaly.

Did teh test restarting the game with and without the joystick connected and every time I restart the game without the joystick connected the settings resets. If i keep the joystick connected, the game already starts with the settings I had set.

The settings reset for me did not start until I tried to use a joystick, so I think it might be an issue with that. I also have issues with trying to assign actions to my joystick. I have tried a cleaning out the mods, and doing a full reinstall, and it didn't work; I guess I am in the same boat as everyone else. I have also noticed that it clears my action group bindings.

Windows 7 x64 Steam install

• 2 weeks later...

I got hit with this today and I did not change anything from the last time I played. Every time I started KSP today my settings reverted. I searched and found this post and indeed it is the joystick that was the problem for me. When I played yesterday I setup my gamepad to use for flying planes, but I had to unplug it to plug something else into that USP port. Plugging the gamepad back in caused the game to load my settings again. I generally don't leave my gamepad plugged in unless I'm using it and I only use it in KSP when flying planes, so this is a big annoyance.

This started happening to me last night after, you guessed it, I set up my xbox controller to try flying with it. Not going to use it again, not something that worked well for me, but it was interesting trying it. Hopefully someone will have a fix other than keeping the joystick (or controller) plugged in all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I fixed mine, maybe it'll work for anyone else who has this issue: Delete the settings.cfg file and the settings.cfg.bak file and start up the game. As long as you don't mind setting everything back up, it works fine.

The settings.cfg file is in the root KSP directory

I don't remember where settings.cfg.bak is because I deleted it, but if you just ctrl+f and type in settings, you'll find it.

I got hit with this today and I did not change anything from the last time I played. Every time I started KSP today my settings reverted. I searched and found this post and indeed it is the joystick that was the problem for me. When I played yesterday I setup my gamepad to use for flying planes, but I had to unplug it to plug something else into that USP port. Plugging the gamepad back in caused the game to load my settings again. I generally don't leave my gamepad plugged in unless I'm using it and I only use it in KSP when flying planes, so this is a big annoyance.

yeah, as I said above, I never unplug my controllers, so unless CH products controls work different from what everyone else is using, I'm not sure if that's really it.

This started happening to me last night after, you guessed it, I set up my xbox controller to try flying with it. Not going to use it again, not something that worked well for me, but it was interesting trying it. Hopefully someone will have a fix other than keeping the joystick (or controller) plugged in all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I fixed mine, maybe it'll work for anyone else who has this issue: Delete the settings.cfg file and the settings.cfg.bak file and start up the game. As long as you don't mind setting everything back up, it works fine.

The settings.cfg file is in the root KSP directory

I don't remember where settings.cfg.bak is because I deleted it, but if you just ctrl+f and type in settings, you'll find it.

Actually, if you read back a bit, you'll find that there's a slightly easier workaround then that. After deleting your settings.cfg, go in game and set everything except for the input settings. The bug lies somewhere in setting up controllers, so everything up to that point will work. Make a copy of this settings.cfg file and then go back and set up your controllers. You'll need to replace the settings file with your copy every time you load the game, but this way you only have to set up the controllers, rather then all of the settings.

That said, it's still a pain in the neck to set up. If the settings worked properly, then I could easily set up my controllers to work exactly the way I want them instead of just setting the most important axes to save time. I wish they'd get this figured out.

yeah, as I said above, I never unplug my controllers, so unless CH products controls work different from what everyone else is using, I'm not sure if that's really it.

Actually, if you read back a bit, you'll find that there's a slightly easier workaround then that. After deleting your settings.cfg, go in game and set everything except for the input settings. The bug lies somewhere in setting up controllers, so everything up to that point will work. Make a copy of this settings.cfg file and then go back and set up your controllers. You'll need to replace the settings file with your copy every time you load the game, but this way you only have to set up the controllers, rather then all of the settings.

That said, it's still a pain in the neck to set up. If the settings worked properly, then I could easily set up my controllers to work exactly the way I want them instead of just setting the most important axes to save time. I wish they'd get this figured out.

Oh, I must have missed that, thanks for telling me :)

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have a slightly better fix for this. It is similar to that mentioned above, but with an extra step. Delete settings.cfg, start the game and set everything as you like (joystick axes, etc.). Now, close the game and navigate to your KSP root folder. Set settings.cfg to "Read-Only" (right-click->properties). Copy settings.cfg into the Launcher_data folder, delete the existing settings.cfg.bak, and rename the settings file to settings.cfg.bak. This will ensure it is "Read-only" as well.

The advantage of this method is you never need to redo any settings, ever. The caveat, however, is that starting the game up without your usual joystick attached (powered on in the case of the XBox controller), you won't be able to click any of the items on the main menu. This will serve as a reminder that you need to attach/power on your controller prior to starting the game. Alt+tab, close the game, attach your preferred controller, restart the game, and everything is as usual - no need to reset any controls, graphics, etc.

I think I found a better yet fix:

Delete all .cfg files in the main directory, and all .cfg.bak files in Launcher_data/. Then launch KSP.exe directly, i.e. NOT through the launcher.

For me, the first boot after this, the loading screen was slightly messed up, like it sort of remembered the settings but not really. It was back to normal the second boot.

-E- But NOT physics.cfg as that breaks things.

Edited by roothorick

I just wanted to stop in to both confirm this as a continuing issue and reiterate one of the solutions I (and others) have discovered since the problem just happened to me a little while ago and made me question my sanity. :confused:

Problem: Upon opening KSP, many settings.cfg parameters revert to undesired settings. Changes applied manually (via editing the file contents) don't stay and was immediately recognizable as unresolved since the resolution kept changing itself back to windowed and a different aspect ratio.

Solution: Plug your joystick back in and re-open KSP =) Settings changes now began to save and reload properly

Causes: This part is pure speculation on my part given my admittedly casual scripting / troubleshooting experience. As others have said, something to do with the way KSP recognizes controllers / joysticks configured as part of the games settings (including keybindings) will throw up a false flag "error" of sorts, and - seemingly as a compatibility safety feature for settings conflicts - it reverts to some other settings.

Edited by GateCrasherVI

• 3 weeks later...

This issue is a serious annoyance. I use the PS4 controller with no ppjoy or x360ce or anything (I was initially using x360ce and I thought that was the problem, but I got rid of it and it still happens, and it seems it's happening to a bunch of people with and without input wrappers). Like people who posted before, I only use my controller for this game, and only for flying planes, so most of the time the controller is not plugged in (I take it back to the other room to play on the ps4). Having to redo all my settings, even the ones not related to controller input, every time I start the game after having used the controller is pretty annoying.

Edited by fmarcati

Same problem here - started after I bought a Logitech gamepad and trying to set it up with KSP. While not an Xbox controller, it can emulate Xbox and this is the default setting it ships with. I never put 2 and 2 together and realized it was the gamepad that caused it because I didn't notice the settings getting stuck until later (after I stopped using the gamepad, and no longer plugged it in.)

For all those who say they had the same problem - do you get this message in your output_log when you experience the problem?

[InputDevices]: Device #0 has no name.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[Input Devices]:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[KSP Version]: 1.0.4.861 (WindowsPlayer) Steam ====================================

[InputDevices]: Device #0 has no name.

[Input Devices]:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Int32].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at InputDevices.GetDeviceIndex (System.String deviceName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AxisBinding_Single.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AxisBinding.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GameSettings.ParseCfg () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GameSettings.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If we can all verify that it's the same problem, we have a better chance of getting action from SQUAD about it.

It seems to be that the missing controller causes the code that loads the settings file to bomb out partway through and fail to read the rest of the settings.

The fix SQUAD would have to implement is to make the settings file code tolerant of the possibility that a previously configured controller might be missing on the current run.

• 1 month later...

I started having this problem at some point when I started using a combination of two Joysticks to play KSP. Tried everything from this thread, including replacing cfg.bak and none of it helped. I just have to rebind both joysticks if I want to play ksp with them :(

I'm having this exact same issue on 1.0.2 on OS X since I used it with my PS4 Dualshock 4 controller. The controller thing is probably the issue, it didn't exist in 0.90, I had 1.0.0 for just a day and didn't use a controller with it and never had 1.0.1 installed. 1.0.2 didn't start resetting the settings like described by OP until I noticed controller settings had disappeared since I tweaked them in 0.90 and set them again.

I'm having this same issue as noted above. Mac OS X, after using Dualshock I've had the same issue. I've tried a complete re-nstall without any luck. Would love to see a fix, as this game is really great and fun w/ the PS controller.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue too, and I can confirm that after removing all mods I could reproduce the problem.

I started experiencing the issue when I tried to plug in a set of CH pedals to complement my CH throttle and Thrustmaster T.16000M stick

To expand on my prior post... After further testing, it appears to have started when I uninstalled CH Control Manager to troubleshoot another issue. This caused my throttle to be renamed from "Control Manager Device 00" or similar to CH PRO THROTTLE USB when mapping it. I deleted the settings and ran a vanilla installation of KSP 1.04 ... I proceeded to map one control at a time and noted that binding axes on my T.16000M worked fine. As soon as I tried to bind the throttle axis on CH PRO THROTTLE USB, the issue would reoccur and I would have to delete the settings file (or, I suspect, clear out the binding in the file).

I was able to get around the issue by installing VJoy and UJR so that the throttle axis would bind to a different device name.

In any case, I confirmed this issue is not at all mod related and perhaps this thread should be moved to the unmodded support forum... Or perhaps a new issue for this should be created there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.