A Very Kerbal Passanger Shuttle

So I wanted to make a passenger shuttle, all rocket. Of course the wings and all cause Space Shuttle making to be tricky, needing well vectored thrust and precisely weight balanced parts... this gets the job done without much of that, I'm surprised how well it works actually. Inner solids are at 45% thrust outer is at 90%. 80 km orbit can be achieved with booster giving out before reaching apoptosis and with 400-650 m/s of fuel left (latter if using mechjeb at 50% shape, 0.5 km turn start altitude, 70 km turn stop altitude). Price to launch is 65314 and price recovered is 31000-31500.

Of course slapping a bunch of solids on a plane may sound stupid and dangerous to us but it works gloriously in the Kerbal world.

An even crazier 12 booster version, 3 layers of booster with 4 stages can do polar orbits at 125 km with 700-900 m/s of fuel left (same mechjeb settings but to 125 km instead of 80, and 90° instead of 0°). The inner booster are at 34% thrust, second layer is at 67% and outer layer is at 100%.

Fuel needs to be balanced between front and back tank before landing (just put all fuel in the front tank and all oxidizer in the back), ignore the little base plate fuel tank. No balancing is required for launch though.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If anyone wants the craft files I'll post them, but it is pretty simple to make.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.