[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

Thanks for a useful mod, and also thanks for getting a 1.2-compatible version out so quickly. One minor quibble, which probably counts more as a feature request than a bug report. It would sure be nice if it could pay attention to the KSP apps scale setting. I used to run KSP at a ludicrously low resolution, that being the only way I could get the text large enough for my aging eyes to read. I have a nice 30" 2560x1440 monitor, but I was running KSP at something like 1280x720. In 1.2, enough stuff can be scaled up that I can run at a decent 1920x1200 and use UI scaling of 150%. That gives me decent resolution and most text is large enough to read, but the text [X] Science is almost unreadable, certainly needing me to strain and squint a lot to read it. Would be nice if it paid attention to the apps scale setting (or gave me a separate option to scale its text size). Thanks again for the mod.

Found this in the log - think it related, though it's greek to me.

Exception handling event onGUIApplicationLauncherReady in class ScienceChecklistAddon:System.NotSupportedException: The invoked member is not supported in a dynamic module.
  at System.Reflection.Emit.AssemblyBuilder.GetExportedTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarTypes.<getType>b__0 (.LoadedAssembly a) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[AssemblyLoader+LoadedAssembly,System.Type].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarTypes.getType (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarManager.get_ToolbarAvailable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.BlizzysToolbarButton.get_IsAvailable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.AddButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.InitButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Exception handling event onGameSceneSwitchRequested in class ScienceChecklistAddon:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ScienceChecklist.UnifiedButton.SetOff () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.OnChecklistWindowClosed (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceWindow.ApplySettings (ScienceChecklist.WindowSettings W) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.OnGameSceneSwitch (FromToAction`2 Data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[GameEvents+FromToAction`2[GameScenes,GameScenes]].Fire (FromToAction`2 data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.OnChecklistWindowClosed (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceWindow.ApplySettings (ScienceChecklist.WindowSettings W) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.OnGameSceneSwitch (FromToAction`2 Data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[GameEvents+FromToAction`2[GameScenes,GameScenes]].Fire (FromToAction`2 data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Exception handling event onGameSceneSwitchRequested in class ScienceChecklistAddon:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

There may be a few more, but looking at it, I think that I either got a bad download or that I somehow screwed up the install, which I find unlikely, since I've done this a few times before. I'll try re-downloading and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Fresh copy of the mod made no difference. I'll start removing other mods to check for conflicts.

EDIT 2: I find myself confused. I rebuilt the mod list one by one, and it all worked. No problems. Then, I go to my old save (I tested in a new one) and it vanishes. So I go back to the testing one, and it's gone, but the GUI is still up and working. No clue here... but I wonder if there was a problem with the original save because it wasn't installed prior to the game start? Unlikely, I know, but I have no other explanation for it at the moment.

Edited by Shadriss

The Toolbar compatibility wrapper that just about every mod with a window uses is broken and needs to be updated. That is the source of the first error in that list and possibly the source of other toolbar (stock or Blizzy's, since the two tend to be intertwined in the code) problems.

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

Exception handling event onGUIApplicationLauncherReady in class ScienceChecklistAddon:System.NotSupportedException: The invoked member is not supported in a dynamic module.
  at System.Reflection.Emit.AssemblyBuilder.GetExportedTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarTypes.<getType>b__0 (.LoadedAssembly a) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[AssemblyLoader+LoadedAssembly,System.Type].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarTypes.getType (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ToolbarManager.get_ToolbarAvailable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.BlizzysToolbarButton.get_IsAvailable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.AddButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.InitButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Looks like Z-Key may not have updated his wrapper code for blizzy's Toolbar. There's a conflict that happens with Contract Configurator.

See: 

And: 

G'day,

First off, awesome mod and thanks for the update for KSP1.2 - essential once one installs a couple of the other science mods! :)

Secondly, it seems to play fine with the current version of  Nehemias Orbital Science  - or at least, if it doesn't I'm not sure what's supposed to be broken.

Finally, is there a setting to stop [x] Science! from interrupting warp while its windows are open? Finally figured out it was this mod that was doing it. Please make it an option..

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

The Toolbar compatibility wrapper that just about every mod with a window uses is broken and needs to be updated. That is the source of the first error in that list and possibly the source of other toolbar (stock or Blizzy's, since the two tend to be intertwined in the code) problems.

I assume we're talking about Blizzy's toolbar? I didn't have that installed when I saw the problem originally, and I don't use it for much outside some easy access to MJ's modules, so that's easy enough to remove for me.

Suggestion for the Here and Now bit - Allow an option to mark transmitted science as complete. I have scanner probes and don't want to be alerted if I don't intend to recover them. Even better would be to mark trasmitted science as complete only if there was 1.) No crew on the vessel and 2.) No science containers on the vessel.

18 hours ago, g_BonE said:

request : can you make the here and now part optional / toggleable? using a different mod for this and would like to be able to remove that icon from the Stock toolbar

Seconded, though for different reasons. Is there some reason it has to be a second icon on the AppBar, and not a button inside the main window? It's not the feature I don't like, it's the additional screen real estate used by what is, in essence, an extra button.

(ksp2.1)

today the [x]Science button disappeared. it was working yesturday. All i did this morning was install stage recovery, update module mgr,ksp-avc,kerbal plantary base sys,intstellar fs and dm-orbital sci. (via ckan)

So, a few things happening here and I have some time on my hands at last.  I thought I'd do a bit more bug hunting.

• I have bunged in the fix for nightingale's Contract Configurator/Toolbar problem.  I added it to TAC Fuel Balancer too.  CC's download has been pulled so I can't really test it but I'm pretty sure it's a good'un.  Famous last words.
  • I ripped out a bit more Linq, quite a big bit from ScienceContext.UpdateExperiments( ).  Apart from being a generally good thing it also let me bung in a fix for the LTech SkyLab part.  [x] Science! won't crash if you are using LTech.  SkyLab and the External Camera had weird stub experiments with NULL values.  These are called "WaitWhat" and "Error" which made me giggle once they started being listed in the report window.
  • I've updated the science.cfg I ship to add the bogus LTech experiments and took the opportunity to add some of the fake biome DMagic ones and also to restrict Sounding Rockets to the Home World.
  • I have added a routine to generate KSC baby biomes for any Home World.  I'm looking up a Lat-Long for KSC and then finding a single Biome for that position.  If you move KSC don't put it on a biome boundary!

Things I didn't do...

Get [x] Science! working with AutoLoadGame.  That thing seems to bypass Unity's Start() callback - even once I'd got round that  problem the toobar buttons were all on the wrong screens.  It seems the game didn't know which scene it was on.  Just too weird.

I also didn't fix MUN's multiple lowlands.  Turns out it wasn't my problem.  Makes a change.  Really pleased for the post above because I was just getting stuck into that.

I'm going to release a TAC Fuel Balancer update and maybe do some triage on Protractor tomorrow.  I'll see if I can't get the report window's little progress bars into the here&now window before I release the [x] Science! update.

24 minutes ago, Torih said:

Is it a bug that the science alerts don't let you run dmagic/universal storage experiments? Or if not would you be able to add support for them? :)

It seems just the new implementation of the Alert function does this. xScience used to support DMagic experiments. No idea what happened, but would be nice if we get back the click functionality for them.

On 10/21/2016 at 0:58 AM, C04L said:

today the [x]Science button disappeared. it was working yesturday. All i did this morning was install stage recovery, update module mgr,ksp-avc,kerbal plantary base sys,intstellar fs and dm-orbital sci. (via ckan)

Did you find a fix for that yet? Same thing happened to me today and I don't really feel like playing without [x]Science.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.