Can Asteriods Become Moons?

It can capture itself if Minmus or the Mun provide a gravity assist, but the orbit won't technically be stable. Of course, once it's in a Kerbin orbit, it only needs a slight nudge to move it away from future encounters with the Mun and/or get the periapsis out of the atmosphere.

It happened to me once in my 0.90 career... one day Kerbin had two moons, the next it had three, and I hadn't done anything at all. I watched the 'roid for about 3 months of in-game time and it didn't go away, so I considered it a miracle and worshipped it as my new god. And farmed it for science :)

Then 1.0 dropped and that career bit the dust and it'll probably never happen again :(

Actually, in my .90 career I have by accident discovered that Kerbin captured 2 asteroids for me. I'll post pictures as soon as I get to computer (on the phone ATM)

pics, or it didn't happen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.