[1.0.2] Land Speed Record!

We all knew and loved the old Land Speed Record but as i couldnt find it for 1.0.2 or 1.0 I decided to recreate it, with a little extra.

Goals: Easy

Acheive the highest speed on the Runway.

Requirements: Easy

Picture of craft before ignition

Picture of the F3 menu after you have past the end of the runway

Must stay on the ground before the end of the runway

Craft must survive till the end of the runway!

Leaderboard: Easy

1: PCanas - 871m/s (FAR Easy)

2: ghostbuzzer7 - 494.5m/s

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Goals: Hard

Acheive the highest speed record on KSC runway and stop by the end.

Requirements: Hard

Picture of ship before ignition

Picture of craft stopped after acheiving your entry speed

Picture of F3 menu

Craft must remain intact!

Craft must remain on the runway at all times!

Must be Manned!

Leaderboard: Hard

1: burnoutforzai - 674m/s

2: Quantumatt - 622m/s

3: The Joker - 483m/s

4: Kelderek - 320m/s

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Goals: FAR

Same as Hard mode

Requirements: FAR

Same as Hard mode

Requires FAR

Leaderboard: FAR

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

General Rules

Stock parts only

Information mods allowed

No F12 menu

GOOD LUCK

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

I'll start us off. I'm sure I can do better, but we have to start somewhere.

Reached 320 m/s and then came back to a complete stop using nothing but SRBs for power. It is hard as hell to steer this thing and keep it on the runway surface.

EDIT: oh yes, I had Jeb on board too.

http://imgur.com/a/X6vhb

Added to leaderboard

Im actually really sad now. I didn't take a screenshot of the F3 menu but here it is *If you accept it, DQ me if you want since I dont have f3 status* Poor Bildun Kerman has to swim in the water back to KSC. Either way, Hard Mode seems like fun :). One question, If I use parachutes, does the aircraft still need to stay on the ground then because the lift and drag they produce lifts your aircraft... :) Anyways great challenge in general.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Im actually really sad now. I didn't take a screenshot of the F3 menu but here it is *If you accept it, DQ me if you want since I dont have f3 status* Poor Bildun Kerman has to swim in the water back to KSC. Either way, Hard Mode seems like fun :). One question, If I use parachutes, does the aircraft still need to stay on the ground then because the lift and drag they produce lifts your aircraft... :) Anyways great challenge in general.

http://imgur.com/a/7FBm9

Parachutes don't necessarily lift your craft off the ground- if you place them right. :wink:

Sadly my PC can't handle many parts, but if you make a vehicle out of mainly physicless parts (cubic octagonal struts etc) and power it with separatrons, I bet you can get super high speeds.

http://imgur.com/a/7FBm9

Ill put you in the easy section since you left the runway. In answer to your question, it is ok for you to lose contact with the ground if you are slowing down before you left the ground. For example, once you have reached max speed and pulled your chutes, if your ship left the ground while ddecelerating it would count in hard mode if you stopped before the end of the runway.

- - - Updated - - -

My best Hard mode so far . . .

I was going for the smallest and fastest dragster. The Kerbal gets into a command seat and ditches the pod. Just brakes and drag to stop. 0-343m/s in 4s.

Current Best: 343 m/s

http://imgur.com/a/v4ZbD

Added to OP

Well this was fun >.>

674m/s may have spent a bit too long on this one.

Exactly 5 seconds of burn time on that one. Also, the time one the 6th image was a bit late.

It was just because of the fact that I forgot to brake and was surprised at the results.

It does look like a short brake distance and it is.

Edited by burnoutforzai

Well this was fun >.>

674m/s may have spent a bit too long on this one.

Exactly 5 seconds of burn time on that one. Also, the time one the 6th image was a bit late.

It was just because of the fact that I forgot to brake and was surprised at the results.

It does look like a short brake distance and it is.

http://imgur.com/a/wlqvj

Taking advantage of RCS, I see?

How was that not the same flight?

Yeah .. it looks allright :/ he just got much more spead after he drive of runway .. so top spead doesnt corespond with one in screenshot .... man this is wrong :D it is good entry :)

So... 871m/s, on easy mode, with heating at 100% and FAR. No cheating at all, and to prove it, here's the craft file. just hit Z, T and Space and there you go (might need some small yaw correction in the first few seconds). Although the rules include FAR in the hard mode and I have FAR installed, I wasn't aiming for the hard mode, since, as you can see, the vehicle is not meant to stop at the end of runway.

I tried a second time and only got 500-something m/s... guess the first shot was a lucky one. Anyway, the craft file is there, so you can try if for yourself.

I'll try other engines as well.

Edited by PCanas

Yeah .. it looks allright :/ he just got much more spead after he drive of runway .. so top spead doesnt corespond with one in screenshot .... man this is wrong :D it is good entry :)

He is one of my friends and he told me they were from seperate flights.

- - - Updated - - -

PCanus, whis name ive only just understood, and burnoutforzai on the leaderboard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.