How much launcher do I need for this spacecraft?

Answered, thank you!

I'm trying to send this lander on a one-way trip to Duna for Valentina:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

How much of a launcher should I need to get there? (I'm looking for suggestions for what parts to use and/or how much deltaV I need)

To help with mass calcuation the ladder is a Telus-LV and the Solar Panels are in the 1x6 configuration.

Edited by ExplodingRocketShips

Hrm...

That is a lot of RCS capability for a ship without a docking port. And a lot of electric capability for a ship without science instruments or an antenna.

A quick rebuild of the lander says that it masses just under 22 tons wet. LKO to low Duna orbit is approximately 1700 m/s; using a single LV-N and its 800s Isp, you'll need a little under 7 tons of fuel to achieve that, bringing the mass up to about 32 tons. With liquid-fuel boosters and good piloting, you should be able to put together a booster that squeezes under the 140-ton limit of the level-2 launch pad and puts the above into orbit. Solids are probably too mass-intensive to make that limit.

I think you need to rethink your lander. Why does it need the rockets if it's not expected to bring Valentina back?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here you go a smaller lander. You probably will need 6000dv taking off from Kerbin and reaching Duna orbit. You do need to aerobrake at Duna tho. After that get your ship into 60km orbit and decouple for landing. After takeoff just meet up with your main ship at orbit and dock. After everything decouples that small monoproplent tank with rcs can actually give you 800dv so meeting up and precision movement shouldn't be hard at all. Normally 4000dv total for lander would be more then enough but i just give it alot of margin of error. You will lose alot of weight so your main ship should have alot of spare dv now. 1000dv would be more then enough for your return and you can aerobreak at Kerbin atmosphere. Keep in mind i gave you alot of margin of error with these numbers it is possible to do the trip with alot less dv. (Oh and just a side note; you don't need ladders in Duna.)

Edited by n0xiety

Note that you can click the orange wrench in a circle and it will tell you the total mass. If you report that, you might get more help. Also, you can checkout the spacecraft exchange forum, because often people will post a whole series of launches to lift various payload sizes to orbit.

If it is a one way trip, you only need a pod, three parachutes, solar panels, an FTL-100 fuel can, a 48-7S engine, and micro strut landing legs. The engine would be for maneuvering to a aerobraking window and last minute slowdown to land if needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.