Is this a female docking port?

SSAgzNF.png

I see these "+" ports on some parts but not on others. Do they have any special function, such as for docking? Or does docking always require two clamp-o-trons?

Edited by vej

Well, that first picture is a docking port attached backwards, or rather, the backside of the docking port.

I would guess that particular portion of the art is supposed to represent an interior airlock door.

I know it's the underside of a docking port and how to rotate stuff. I included a few photos because I see it on a lot of parts and because it was on the docking port I thought maybe that signified that it had something to do with docking. I guess from your responses it's not something a clamp-o-tron can connect to.

I know it's the underside of a docking port and how to rotate stuff. I included a few photos because I see it on a lot of parts and because it was on the docking port I thought maybe that signified that it had something to do with docking. I guess from your responses it's not something a clamp-o-tron can connect to.

I pointed that out to support my theory, not to suggest you didn't know how to rotate things.

But yes, you are correct, you cannot connect a docking port to that.

Looking at how the docking port parts are actually implemented in Unity, one would notice that there is a (invisible) dockingNode transform added to the model.

This determines which way around a docking port faces, and thus the only allowable direction for docking.

vtiTP.png

Plus if you are trying to dock multiple ports at once the rotation around the docking axis also matters. It can be most easily be seen with the Sr Docking port, where the 3 outer handles align properly when their relative rotation is correct. This is why I said to press D twice instead of say pressing W twice :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.