Re-entry heat

So I got 120% re-entry heat turned on, which was not punishing enough for me, so I jammed the 'deadly re-entry' mod on it.

Still find it not punishing enough. I want my kerbals to turn religious during re-entry ;p

Is there a way for me to raise the heat?

And is there a way to make more of the atmosphere punishing instead of 25k and down? I would maybe not have to turn Up the heat if I could prolong its existence.

Edited by Dedjal
Answered

You could thrust towards the planet to increase speed. Even coming in from Minmus you're only doing about mach 10 and you bleed off some of that in the upper atmosphere. At low Kerbin orbit reentry speeds you don't even need an ablative heat shield, those speeds can be easily handled by radiative cooling using RCC or hot metal TPS cooling.

Another way to give more deadly reentry is by using mods that increase the size of the planets.

Go into your item .cfg files and lower ablator levels of heatshields and lower max-temp of all other items. If you want them to die just send them on a very steep re-entry without parachutes, if they don't explode the lithobraking will certainly do the job.

The previously mentioned solutions will be able to help you. The problem is the size of the planets in KSP just don't allow for high enough orbital velocities that require long exposure to high temperatures. Beware space planes are vulnerable to re-entry heat for this reason.

You could try real solar system mod. In that you will need something like 8000m/s+ for kerbin(earth) orbit. You will see the heat when you enter with 8000m/s believe me. Coming from other planets would be even faster than that and you can feel the heat for sure.

I do not want to kill the crew, I just want to get my money worth from the heat shields.

Decreasing heat values could be one solution, I guess. But that is a lot of parts I would have to change then.

Is it not possible to take the atmosphere at 25k mark and raise it to 40-50k?

In your persistence file there is a line called ReentryHeatScale under Difficulty. You should be able to set that as high as you want, but I've heard that it gets very unrealistic by 2.0. Try 1.5 maybe?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.