I can't stop rescuing Kerbals!

mdkendall

"And their pod"? Really? Are you sure they don't just want the kerbal back? The game has never asked us to bring a dead pod home before.

Happens. You need higher rep to get the offer. I only got one in over a year of career mode. A kerbal crashed on Minmus and one in Mun orbit. Yeah ok, i can't count very well, no need to mock me. Anyway, the one on Minmus was in a Cupola and it was a challenge designing something that can descend/ascent under it's own power, move short distances on the surface, claw something small and flat, and somehow be lifted from Kerbin without toppleing the rocket over. I managed it but the design turned out to have issues with a "magical" area in front of the claw. I carried it over to the Minmus Science Bus where a return lander fitted with parachutes took it back to Kerbin. Where it crash landed because it caught "not enough paracute-itis ".

The one in Mun orbit was a mobile lab. I got to keep the kerbal immediatley but the contract would only be fullfilled once both the kerbal and their pod were landed back on Kerbin. Not neccesarily at the same time, but you need both to get paid/rep.

Clawed surface recovey spider

ScienceBus with parked utility craft

"And their pod"? Really? Are you sure they don't just want the kerbal back? The game has never asked us to bring a dead pod home before.

This can definitely happen, I just got a contract to retrieve a Kerbal and his pod from Ike orbit. Much to my annoyance, in fact, as I haven't been to Ike yet. Or Duna. Or anywhere besides Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and solar orbit. What's the fun in exploration if somebody else has been there first?

a question, as you have a lot of experience with this, how the heck to mark their pods as debris?

right-click on the drone core/command module and change it's icon to debris(part of renaming the craft). You can also set it to just about any other non-flag designation if you like.

there's no option to rename in them... maybe I need to do it before I claw it?

You need to do it while you have control (Crew or powered probe core)

Alternatively, you can terminate the pods once the mission is done.

People are still complaining about multi mission satilites in career, but I never get more than 1 at a time thanks to rescue contacts. Oh well, funds are temporary, Kerbals are forever.

"No Jeb don't push that button!" :confused:

I love rescue missions. Built a 'two stage to orbit' rocket that only loses its boosters do they'd be more profitable for the Kerbin orbit rescues. Named it like, the Salvation or something. They don't pay THAT well, but I seem mildly obsessed with getting the little guys back down. Just pulled my first rescue in Munar orbit a couple of days ago.

If I didnt rescue kerbals, i'd probably be half way around kerbin now with the circumnavigation...

the problem is ive reinforced the cab of any overland train so when one happens to come to an unfortunate end.. the active crew in the cockpit modual survive and generally roll away from all but extreme explosions.. leaving then 3 kerbals showing on the tracking map everytime I goto resume..

it eventually got to the point I was including KAS attached external command seats to the tanker cars to have indian style passengers on the train roof..

its an addictive thing.. once you start thinking of kerbals as non-expendable :)

a question, as you have a lot of experience with this, how the heck to mark their pods as debris?

You can do it quite easily from the tracking station. Click on the name on the left then open up the details on the right. Click on the name in the popup to rename and/or set as debris.

Edited by Snarfster

I have this problem too!

I tried just stashing them all in my station so that new contracts wouldn't spawn, but...

- new rescue contracts seem to continue spawning until you have four or five in progress at once

- I ran out of money a couple times and had to go bring them home for funds

- Most importantly: when you have five rescue contracts, fewer other contracts get offered. Combined with the Duna contracts I foolishly accepted at the beginning of the game, I always end up with so many in progress that I don't get offered any new ones. Thus in order to make any funds I have to complete something, which usually means bringing home rescuees, which in turn causes more rescue contracts to get offered...

Yeah, it seems most of my 1-star contracts will forever be stuck at rescuing kerbals, recovering parts, placing satellites, or ferrying tourists and VIPs. Oh yeah, can't forget 'Plant a Flag on the Mun'.

I've got 25 kerbals, and every once in a while I just grab 3 or 4 contracts and add to the roster. I don't really use them all that much yet, but once I start sending manned missions to other planets I know I'll need them.

It's pretty quick and easy cash too, that's how I paid off my three-in-a-row 160k fund mission failures.

I love rescue missions. Built a 'two stage to orbit' rocket that only loses its boosters do they'd be more profitable for the Kerbin orbit rescues. Named it like, the Salvation or something. They don't pay THAT well, but I seem mildly obsessed with getting the little guys back down. Just pulled my first rescue in Munar orbit a couple of days ago.

How expensive? I have my rescue craft called "Cheap Rescue". Original... I know!

8,847 ship cost

-2,400 recovered after rescue

---------------------------------

~ cost to rescue 6,600

The rescue contracts pay somewhere around 60,000 ish?

Maybe that should be a challenge, cheapest rescue craft :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.