Live On Board Of Submarine

I once watched an interview with sailors (Polish Navy) our Polish submarines are powered by Disel, most still remember the Cold War :-)

From what I heard the beds on board a submarine is less than crew members, apparently to save valuable floor space on board, reportedly sailors descend from the watch when they take still a warm bed after a colleague who went on their own watch :D

Yeah, it's even called hot-bunking :) And it's not only in Polish Navy - crews of many types of smaller vessels around the world are forced to sleep in shifts, because living space is greatly limited. On the other hand, small ships usually do not do oceanic cruises so inconvenience only lasts couple of days at sea.

On the other hand, small ships usually do not do oceanic cruises so inconvenience only lasts couple of days at sea.

People live like this for months and months. If you value space, fresh air or privacy, a submarine is not for you. The same goes for current generation space craft, by the way. Those rate even worse than submarines.

People live like this for months and months. If you value space, fresh air or privacy, a submarine is not for you. The same goes for current generation space craft, by the way. Those rate even worse than submarines.

My understanding of spacecraft is that bunks are more for privacy than comfort; from what I've read from astronauts, the only reason they need sleeping bags is so they don't bump into stuff (and the ISS does have enough quarters for everyone to have private quarters). Capsules are a different story, I'd imagine.

Yeah, it's even called hot-bunking :) And it's not only in Polish Navy - crews of many types of smaller vessels around the world are forced to sleep in shifts, because living space is greatly limited. On the other hand, small ships usually do not do oceanic cruises so inconvenience only lasts couple of days at sea.

Yes, hot-bunking. Your bunk mates were referred to as 'bunkies'. Such sleeping arrangements are not limited to subs; During the Korean War, my dad, assigned to one of the 6 destroyers of the Inchon pre-invasion fleet (USS Gurke DD-783, some stories there - sitting ducks - in the thick of it), had two bunkies. Their shift rotations were coordinated with two on duty while one slept. Hard times. Not much room in the rack either. Pity the man whose time off was during the beach softening.

If you're not familiar with the story of the 'sitting ducks' of the Inchon invasion, do Google and read up.

I'm unfit for military duty but wish i had serve on submarine, even if it's apparently very claustrophobic :-)

i think submarine are cool, maybe not as spacecrafts but still, i wish i had that opportunity, our polish subs are not as awesome as Soviet/Russian Akula-class or American Loss Angeles-class but still cool :-)

My understanding of spacecraft is that bunks are more for privacy than comfort; from what I've read from astronauts, the only reason they need sleeping bags is so they don't bump into stuff (and the ISS does have enough quarters for everyone to have private quarters). Capsules are a different story, I'd imagine.

The ISS seems to be the exception when it comes to hot bunking, though I am sure that also has to do with psychological stability of the crew and the stresses being long stretches of time in space puts on humans. Both on the ISS and in other craft, space flight is a hugely inelegant affair. The ISS is a shining star of luxury in that it actually has a separate toilet and cubicle style private 'rooms' (i.e. a cardboard box to sleep in), but that is about all the luxury you get. Oh, and that fancy window of course, that is a big plus :P Otherwise, space is a very bare-bones experience with little room for shame or feelings of being uncomfortable. Going to space means experiencing all your crew's nasty habits and bodily functions.

For the most part, space flight is pooping in bags (or your pants) while being shoulder to shoulder to your crew mates, and stuffing used paper behind your seat. Oh, and let us not forget the ever present danger of a horrible death.

45fn988w-1366765446.jpg

Hmmm, maybe it's a bit off-topic, but i have a question. Couple of days ago my friend, while suffering from a bad case of hay fever mused that he would love to live onboard ISS - and have the luxury of filtrated and recycled air without dust and plant pollens. So, how clean air aboard ISS really is? I mean there are machines and electronic devices everywhere - some of them have moving parts (metal and plastic particles being produced). Everytime someone prepares meal, or conducting an experiment there is a risk of small droplets of liquids being released into the station. And crumbs. Not to mention human crew dusting everything with lint, dead skin cells and dandruff. Of course there are filters, but ISS inside is quite spacious - it must take some time to recycle the air, and some stuff is bound to get stuck in nooks and crannies. Is space really allergics-friendly or not?

Hmmm, maybe it's a bit off-topic, but i have a question. Couple of days ago my friend, while suffering from a bad case of hay fever mused that he would love to live onboard ISS - and have the luxury of filtrated and recycled air without dust and plant pollens. So, how clean air aboard ISS really is? I mean there are machines and electronic devices everywhere - some of them have moving parts (metal and plastic particles being produced). Everytime someone prepares meal, or conducting an experiment there is a risk of small droplets of liquids being released into the station. And crumbs. Not to mention human crew dusting everything with lint, dead skin cells and dandruff. Of course there are filters, but ISS inside is quite spacious - it must take some time to recycle the air, and some stuff is bound to get stuck in nooks and crannies. Is space really allergics-friendly or not?

Dust and debris are a huge hazard for machines and crew. Think of short circuits or crew getting hurt. Not only is the ISS equipped with high performance HEPA filters, cleaning the station is a frequent and recurring task on board just to get that build up out of every nook and cranny.

You can bet that the ISS is one of the more monitored and controlled environments available.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.